PDA

View Full Version : 3 deaths in 2 months or so what am i missing.

sailfish2
10/07/2007, 11:23 AM
Sorry for the length please critique what am i missing.

I have heard that some corals just do not like some tanks. I have had 3 corals die weeks apart with no apparent cause except for one of them could be a # of factors altogather.
The only similarity are the type of corals all thin braching bottle brush type.
They all did not really lose there color till it was too late( 3 day prior of or the day they were removed.) and polyps were extended till the day I took all of them out even if just a little. I dipped all to see if any pests were present and none were. I even dipped other corals to be sure.

One appeared to Swell up for two days before I removed it.

I have chased causes for a while and the only factor that I can come up with is phosphate was a little high .04 to.02 tested with Hana (yes I spent the money on one & not willingly). It is .01 to .00 now. Recently got this past 2 to 3weeks ago.

DKH 11 lamotte stays pretty steady 10. something to 11. something calcium reactor test biweekly
PH 8.0 to 8.2 meter recently calibrated.
Cal 400 ish salifert stays steady calcium reactor test biweekly
Sal 1.025 refractameter 1.023 hydro
Nitrate 0 to 1 salifert low rage test, maybe once it was 1.
Strontium salifert between 4 and 10 (I hate this test.) purchased after all this started.
Lights mh 11:30 to 8:30 actinic 10:30 to 10:00
Mag 1500 with salifert and do not have to dose it.
15% weekly water changes dosed to meet tank #
Temp 80 to 82 chiller
Flow 1 tunze 6100, 2- 6045, 1- 6025
75 gal SPS, 28 gal working cap. sump, euro reef 180, geo cal reacter

I did not use carbon but have started too and I have always rinsed it and the last time I soaked it overnight. I can’t tell if this has hurt or helped can’t remember every time I have used it.

My phosphate has been tied to ro/di water( just this week) which is a coral life filter with all new filters tds tests zero Hana says phosphate is .03 and feeding to much I guess.

My refug was med low flow smelled a little funny (after 3 day trip out of town) so I added a power head in there. Full of cheto and dsb.

Also one miracultured colony a. fenneri I think, had been in tank for 2 months died after red bug treatment,use of carbon afterwards, and 25% water change. Very minimal red bug infestation which was only discovered because of looking for cause of a unhappy coral.

One frag unknown origin miracultured or wild 2 to 3 weeks

One frag 2 months or so. I bought two frags same coral and one dies the other is alive placed inchs apart. (died Thursday).

I also lost a purple pillow several months back on the 13th day after purchase. The reason I mention this is it has similar look, shape and polyps to the one’s that have died.

All other coral are looking great not good and most are growing very well weekly noticeable growth.

What am I missing or doing wrong? (Still fairly new to sps 9 months or so)

So what could it be?

Does this type of coral just not like my tank?

What could or would cause a coral to swell?

Sorry it’s so long and thanks for any help.

J

wentreefgirl
10/07/2007, 12:53 PM
Not sure about lamotte test kits. I do know that the swelling of the tips thing is something that has been seen and not sure what its due to. Pm Naka for info on that. I think he had this problem. Also,your describing (I think, deep water bottle brushes) that tend to be hard to keep for the most part. Also, maricultured are not as easy to keep as aquacultured for some reason. Could just be the type and not your tank. Also yes, your tank is newly started. It can be possible for people to keep acros in newly started tanks. Just harder a job for you to keep them happy.

sailfish2
10/07/2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you very much for the reply.

The tank has been setup for 2 to 3 years just went to sps in the past 9 mon.

I have many miracultured, a few wild acros and aqu ones as well. The thing is it has happened to all 3 types but only to the echinata bottle brush type and the rest look good.

I have 3 diff turaki's and they do fine. If its just the type that sucks but I can live with it. I would like to fix this problem if I can figure it out.

I just hope its not something like a disease that will slowly kill everything.

Thanks again for the reply

sailfish2
10/07/2007, 02:02 PM
Here are some pics

First two are swollen coral and last is pic of frags before one of died but were healthy i guess.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd223/sailfish88/corl2.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd223/sailfish88/1coo.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd223/sailfish88/P1000717.jpg

Are these type of corals any harder to keep than others?

If so what do they need more than others.

Thanks for any help

sailfish2
10/07/2007, 08:20 PM
bump

Any idea's would be great.

Nobody have any idea's on coral that is swollen?

Have any of you seen this?