PDA

View Full Version : quarantine tank setup help

knoxtnreef
10/08/2007, 10:42 AM
hi all,

can someone give me a few ideas for a quarantine tank setup...i dont want to spend over $100.. is this possible.

part suggestions? It's only going to house fish incase of a outbreak which i hope is seldom and no rock, just pvc....

slapshot16
10/08/2007, 10:44 AM
Tank, sponge filter, PVC pieces or a few rocks for hiding. Cheap light. I use a 10 gallon tank.

Use tank water.

kevin2000
10/08/2007, 10:49 AM
Ten gallon Petco/Petsmart tank $10 - Petco/Petsmart power filter ($10), inexpensive heater, some PVC pipes for fish shelter.

You don't need a dedicated fish light ... nearby desk lamp will work fine. I suggest you go "bare bottom" and spray painting the outside bottom of the tank white will help identify fish poop and uneaten food which can be removed with a turkey baster (will make a big difference on water quality. I also suggest you pick up a Seachem $7 ammonia alert badge) .. will save you from doing a zillion ammonia tests.

Heres a good link on how to run a QT.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288805

Hope this helps.

knoxtnreef
10/08/2007, 10:49 AM
is it possible to setup a QT for some fish I have coming tomorrow? I'm afraid I'm not giving the tank enough time to cycle and it may be better to just place them directly in the main tank and if I see any signs of ich I can move them to the QT after it's been running for a few days.

i have coming

5 chromis
1 jawfish
1 regal blue tang

Playa-1
10/08/2007, 10:50 AM
Agreed.
I got a $30 used 10gal tank on ebay, $5 sponge filter from dr fosters, a few pieces of pvc, The tank came with a cheepo light and an air pump.

kevin2000
10/08/2007, 10:55 AM
Its not necessary to cycle a QT tank .. but be prepared to do plenty of water changes to keep ammonia levels at zero. If your show tank has mature biological filter media you can move that into your QT filter -- will help mitigate any ammonia issues.

In general ... purchasing multiple fish at the same time is a bad idea .. better off purchasing/QTing one fish - makes QTing easier and slowly stocking your show tank allows it to properly mature. Further .. multiple fish in a QT increases the likelyhood of having more than one disease making treatment very difficult (some medications are not compatible).

Placing fish directly into your show tank is a bad idea - once you introduce ich and some other diseases into the tank the only sure method of getting it out is too leave the show tank without fish for 5+ weeks.

knoxtnreef
10/08/2007, 11:01 AM
thx

i'll probally buy two 10 gallons tanks and run two QT's. I have a 30 gallon sump to get water from.

cheaper than losing my fish