PDA

View Full Version : Austin Oceans (formerly barr) Ca Reactors

ozzmosis
10/08/2007, 11:30 AM
I wanted to get some feedback on these Calcium Reactors. If any of you have one, any input is greatly appreciated. www.austinoceans.com or www.barraquatic.com

Thanks,
Chris

africangrey
10/08/2007, 12:23 PM
I replaced my Reeftek unit with a MoCal300 about 3 months ago, my most frustrating experience with the Reeftek was the dropping of effluent flow rate overtime, thinking that MoCal300 will solve the problem, even though my effluent flow is dropping off much slower than Reeftek but neverhelessly it's still dropping even the reactor is feeded with a MJ1200.
The pH tops at 7.9 from the previous 8.1 was biggest draw back from using the MoCal300, don't think the recycling of CO2 and dual chamber design does anything to increase pH. The build in flow meter is attractive idea but is somehow inaccurate thus I still use stop watch and graduated cyliner to monitor the effluent flow in the weekly basis.
The build quality of unit is top notch since they use thicker material and I also like how the recirculating pump is concealed which makes the reactor very sleek looking. The Ehime pump also operates the unit with very little noise. But for $560, I'd expect more from a Calcium reactor, I've heard a lot of good thing about the cheaper Geo, and it doesn't suffer from inconsistent drip rate, do more search on Geo which will save you $100 - $150 more.

Paulairduck
10/08/2007, 05:56 PM
I have run Korallin, knop, MRC calcium reactors and now I have two GEO's 612 and 618 and will never look back. Putting it Simply the best and easiest reactor I have used.

My next calcium reactor will be a large GEO, when the wife gives me the OK on the 300 in wall, maybe next month, next year and there is always never. Women and kids have a lot of power. That whole college thing is a tough one to beat:eek1: :eek2:

ozzmosis
10/10/2007, 02:25 PM
africangrey,
Thanks for the feedback. That's the negative feedback that I've heard. I do have a quick question for you. Are you using a pH controller to control the CO2 input or are you just going by drip rate? If you are not using a controller, then I think that would be the solution to your problems. Another thing that might help is try using a peristaltic pump, like the aquamedic sp3000. The maxijets are not meant to have back pressure, so they tend to wear out when used in this manner. I'm no expert on the subject by any means, but that is what I've been gathering by the research that I've been doing.

Thanks again,
Chris

ozzmosis
10/10/2007, 02:29 PM
Paulairduck,

I've also been contemplating on the GEO. I noticed that you have the same size tank as I and was wondering which size GEO you chose and how easy is it to do the media change, maintenance, etc.? Thanks in adavance!

Chris

ozzmosis
10/10/2007, 02:30 PM
africangrey,

Actually, if you want to get rid of that MoCalc 3000, let me know. I'll take it off of your hands.

Chris

africangrey
10/10/2007, 03:18 PM
Chris, I am not going to get rid of the reactor as now, so you will have to get one youself:)
Yeah, it's hooked up with a pH probe and controlled by ACJr, the first chamber is filled with GenX coral skeleten, and second chamber with CaribSea fine media as they are easier to be dissolved.
To me the biggest disppointment for using a calcium reactor was inconsistent drip rate, and I've battled with that front for the past 3 years with Reeftek, even though Austin claimed the reactor is designed differently, reassured me that I won't experience any problem with drip rate. After some extensive testing it drops from 40 mL/min down 25 mL/min in matter of a week it's not something to write home about no matter how the reactor is fed , I've tried either return pump or Maxjet 1200. I am not going to spend another $100 to $200 on a peristalic pump after dropped nearly $600 on a reactor which I though will solve the problem once for all.
Like a said earlier, other than that the unit is constructed with much thicker acrylic and build like a tank, and I like how they hide just about everything (tubes and pump), and looks very sleek from outside. Let me know how you like it once you've received it.
Spencer

ozzmosis
10/10/2007, 04:25 PM
africangrey,
Sorry that I was unable to give some info that might help. I'll drop you a line once I've gotten one. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Chris

jamesdawson
10/10/2007, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your effluent drop off Spencer. I have run a MoCalc 300 (their first production unit) for almost 2 years with no problems. My effluent stays very steady. I wonder if yours has some of the ARM fine getting into the outflow plumbing, possibly from using a relatively powerful MJ 1200 as the feed pump. I use the small Eheim pump myself. You should contact Barr himself as he is the designer and takes a personal interest in user's experiences and is well known for his outstanding customer service.

As far as low Ph, I run ARM fine in both chambers and keep the PH of my firrt chamber in the 7 to 7.1 range. My effluent has always tested out at 1 or 2 DKH higher than the first chamber which tells me the second chaamber really does help. I do keep my needle valve closed most of the way to maximize recirculation. I also run my effluent line into my calcium reactor chamber to help blow off any residual C02 and at most my tank's PH drops by a factor of .1 PH as a result. The best thinhg about this reactor is it consistently makes over 40 DKH for me and thats awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck,

James

Ewan
10/11/2007, 05:53 AM
Spencer,

Sorry to hear you're dead-set against a peristaltic pump.
It would end your effluent flow problems.

A reactor is useless without a stable feed. The single benefit of running a reactor is unparalleled stability. If you're constantly adjusting the reactor to make up for a poor effluent feed, then I don't need to tell you that you're missing out on the only benefit of having a reactor.

I really urge you to consider a peristaltic pump. You will never think about effluent stability again.

Just a thought,

-E.

uhuru
10/11/2007, 08:15 AM
what is a good continuous duty peristaltic pump? LMIII for example only turns on every 15 minutes or so.

ozzmosis
10/11/2007, 10:21 AM
For a calcium reactor application, I would use the aquamedic sp3000.

ozzmosis
10/11/2007, 10:22 AM
I've read where a lot of people are using these for their reactors.

africangrey
10/11/2007, 10:36 AM
Both LitterMeterIII and Aquamedic SP3000 might not be good choices since they are variable speed to fine tune the flow rate except using a clamp to approximate it.
Do some search on ebay for a used one, like this http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=7712080
Spencer

africangrey
10/11/2007, 11:17 AM
Sorry Chris for posting some negative comments on Barr's reactor, hopefully this doesn't deter you from getting a MoCal 300, perhaps you will have a better luck than mine. As now I just want to get my money back from Austin Aquatics, don't really know if they will allow that after 3 months of trial and move on to a Geo, I am curious about how their designs are so differ from the rest of the packs, but I haven't seen any negative review or drop of effluent rate from hundreds of RC threads.
Spencer

Ewan
10/11/2007, 11:24 AM
Bingo.

I had 2 aquamedic SP3000's break in the exact same spot. One lasted almost 9 months. They are garbage. Good idea, poor materials.

I had a masterflex initially, but it began to give me a shock. They also run very high amperage... However, after the PITA with the aquamedic SP3000's, I cracked it open and tracked down the grounding issue. I also ordered a new head for it (NOT the easy load head, which I also had problems with). and I'm off and running with the masterflex again.

If anyone recommends an aquamedic SP3000, please ask them how long they've had it in service. I can't imagine one running for more than a year without the plastic roller assembly wearing away from the center shaft.

Masterflex, rainin, watson-marlow, manostat, these are continuous-duty pumps to look for on ebay.

E.

ozzmosis
10/11/2007, 02:30 PM
Good info Ewan. I had not heard that about the aquamedics. What about a hospital quality pump? I have two different dosing pumps that I'm using now for my alk and cal. I was thinking of trying one of them, since I can actually set a rate to be dosed.

africangrey, you haven't deterred me at all. I was looking for honesty in feedback so that I would know what I was getting. In fact, my offer still stands if you decide that you do want to sell it, if Austin Oceans doesn't give you what you want.

Chris