PDA

View Full Version : mixing anenomes

ilovetrains
10/08/2007, 12:50 PM
We currently have a blue carpet anenome in our reef tank. We have the reef split in two, one on each side, open area in middle of tank. We planned to add a long tentacle anenome at some point.

I have been told two different things, and want to get some more advice:

1) you may mix different types of anenome's as long as they each have different species of clown fish
2) you should never have more than one type anenome in a tank

loosecannon
10/08/2007, 01:05 PM
1) I think is right.

Largo50
10/08/2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know the answer to your question specifically but mixing different species of clownfish in the same tank is not recommended or even more than 1 pair of the same species in the same tank. See the anemone and clownfish forum.

Largo50
10/08/2007, 01:29 PM
I decided to take my own advice and review the FAQ's at the Clownfish and Anemone forum and found this recomendation there.

"Can you keep different species of anemones in the same tank?
The jury is still out on this subject. A fair number of hobbyists have reported problems with keeping different species of anemone in a small tank. There appears to be a chance for chemical competition between anemone species. At the least, different species will physically combat each other, stinging and/or consuming one another if they move in close contact. Only keep different species in the same system if you are prepared to
remove one species or the other upon signs of stress. It should be noted that having multiple individuals of the same species in a tank is not a problem – even if the individuals are different color morphs and come from different parts of the ocean."

uscharalph
10/08/2007, 01:30 PM
Take a look at this site: http://www1.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm

ilovetrains
10/08/2007, 01:31 PM
I spent a little time looking at the clown fish and anenome faq as well.

One question I keep running into is this disclaimer, "unless you have a large tank." What is a 'large' tank?

According to LFS which wants to sell me many anenome and clowns my 155 is plenty large enough for two pair (recommends adding a set or percs to the chocolate seabaes I have).