PDA

View Full Version : acrylic or glass

s ruppa
10/08/2007, 06:59 PM
any thoughts on acrylic VS glass. i am looking at about the 180g size. i would like to have a closed loop option but not 100 percent required.

any opinions would be appreciated
steve r

GMFett
10/08/2007, 08:29 PM
Glass...

-Razor blade safe
-Better magnet cleaners
-Easier cleaning

hobbzz
10/08/2007, 08:41 PM
Glass for the same reasons as above. Although I have scraped mine with a razor blade before.

I've had one acrylic tank and I will NEVER do that again. I can't believe the number of people that have huge acrylic tanks. If you scratch it when it's empty, you can usually buff it out. But what happens when it's stocked and you're re-aqua scaping and put a 10" gash in the front panel? You gonna empty it to buff it out? I don't trust myself. :D I'd only use acrylic for a sump. Even if I had to brace the floor because of the weight of glass (which I've had to do).

Elliott
10/08/2007, 09:54 PM
pros and cons with both, but I don't like the idea of a tank breaking, so it's acrylic for me. there are ways to buff out scratches even when full

http://etr-inc.com/index.php

s ruppa
10/09/2007, 08:04 AM
thanks for the thoughts everyone

steve r

Untamed12
10/09/2007, 06:51 PM
Mine is acrylic. I don't feel like I really had much choice. Glass would have been much too heavy to install (given my situation), and I sleep better at night because I've heard too many horror stories about cracked glass.

There is one thing that I thought I would mention because no one ever mentioned it when I was making this choice...

Scratches in the inside of the tank seem to be caused by the tank inhabitants. The tank has a number of scratches that I know I didn't make. So scratches are unavoidable, no matter how careful you are. If you go acrylic, you are going to have to accept that.

Personally, I suspect the tangs....

thor32766
10/10/2007, 09:24 AM
for a 180 I would go with glass. Easier care. If you were in the 300 and above range I would say acrylic.

PJsStuff
10/10/2007, 11:05 AM
Acrylic can crack too. It can also bend somewhat!

marinelife
10/10/2007, 11:41 AM
Acrylic is best, I used a kit from http://etr-inc.com/index.php on the used one I purchased, tanked looked brand new before my hippo tang's teeth got to it.

Acyrlic also hold it value better.

From http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tksstds.htm

Acrylic or Plexiglas aquariums which I prefer over glass and all other materials for home-size systems for a few reasons:

Acrylic tanks are tough; some six times stronger than the equivalent thickness of glass. Far more forgiving on less-than-perfect stands or during earthquakes or bumps.

Acrylic is a better thermal insulator. Remember you have to pay to keep the system heated/cooled higher/lower than ambient.

Acrylic is easy to "customize"; it can be drilled, cut, added to with ease. This minimizes salt creep and messy clean-ups.

Acrylic tanks are clearer than glass, which weathers worse.

Acrylic tanks are beautiful with their corners either end-butted or heat bent; they’re gorgeous.

Acrylic tanks are lightweight; much lighter than glass or composites. Moving them is a breeze comparatively.

For all these reasons acrylic tanks hold their resale worth high. Other tanks lose half their value when they leave the store. I have seen acrylics sell for more than they were purchased for, years later.

Yes, acrylic tanks do bow more and will scratch if rubbed or struck with something hard; but so does

glass. And acrylic can be fixed for scratches relatively easily. My advice should be obvious; buy acrylic. My number two choice, a good quality all-glass tank pre-drilled (if wanted) for water egress/ingress.

SaraB
10/10/2007, 11:56 AM
Here's some Acrylic advantages that a friend shared with me when I was trying to decide glass vs. acrylic:

Advantages:
1. Acrylic is much stronger. When you properly form a bond, the tank effectively becomes one single piece. The joints are stronger than the base acrylic if it is done properly. A glass tank is only held by the silicone bond and may break at the most inopportune time.
2. The insulation capability of acrylic is much better, so you do not heat up or cool the tank quite as much. You will save $ on heating costs for an acrylic tank versus glass.
3. The acrylic is much lighter weight and easier to maneuver.
4. acrylic is repairable, glass is not. The acrylic is relatively easy to scratch, but it can be fixed pretty easily. Glass cannot be fixed once it is scratched. You already have scratches in your glass tank. Also, Starphire is much easier to scratch than regular glass due to the low iron content (though not as easy to scratch as acrylic). In reality, what most people view as a disadvantage (ease of scratching) I actually view as an advantage because I can and have repaired the scratches in my acrylic tank that I never could have fixed with a glass tank.

steve the plumb
10/10/2007, 12:50 PM
I just bought a 300 acrylic.I have always had glass tanks.I know the pros and cons of both.I can tell you my friend and I lifted the tank where it this tank was glass we need a good 6 strong guys to lift it.If you go with thick glass you need low iron witch equals more money.I bought a buffing kit with my magnet so the scratch can be repaired without removing any water.I have heard this requires a little elbow grease.You can drill the tank yourself.You can do the same with glass but its a bit harder to do.Glass doesn't scratch that easy but you can scratch it if a coral falls or rocks fall.I would leave some space in the front of the tank.If you are going 180 you are better off with glass since cost wise a 180 isn't that much money.

Elliott
10/11/2007, 09:06 AM
here is a very unfortunate case using glass:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10949336#post10949336

ReefingBuddha
10/11/2007, 09:51 AM
I prefer glass... but I believe it comes down to personal preference. For your sized tank glass would probably be worth it. As mentioned, larger tanks tend to do better made out of acrylic but it shouldn't be a problem for you.

P.S. I did a lot of research before decided on going with 1" glass on my 480g and even though its not running yet I do like the end result.

Best of luck... always more decisions decisions decisions...

PJsStuff
10/11/2007, 01:02 PM
Now im freaked out danget. Im building a new tank thats going to be 60"x65"x30" And im debating now on glass or not.

s ruppa
10/11/2007, 01:10 PM
thanks for all the info everyone! i am still deciding. i am leaning towards a glass 180g from glass cages.com. i do like the idea of being able to drill it easier if want to add a closed loop later. so maybe acrylic. and i would not have to go with starphire for better clarity. tough choice.
of course finding a used tank locally would make the choice much easier.

steve

steve the plumb
10/11/2007, 01:59 PM
I bought some cheap glass hole saw bits from e bay.They worked great so if you want to drill glass its not a problem.Make sure its not tempered.The bits were very cheap and they did a good job.I don't expect them to last long but if you can get 5 or 10 holes out of one its a deal.