PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question: 100g to a 300g

Lildragon
10/08/2007, 09:49 PM
I am in the process of planning a 300 gallon peninsula starphire tank. I currently have a 100 gallon mixed reef. The new reef will be built into the house we are building.

The question:

With only 1 week to move the tank, is it possible to move the entire contents of the 100 to the 300 without having the 300 cycle?

(1) I would assume the most important components would be my rock and sand. If I take most of the water from the 100, wouldn't it just be like doing a very large water change?

(2) I'm not sure what would happen with my sand (once it is mixed up). Would disturbing the sandbed cause organisms to die off (and create a mini-cycle?)

(3) I am going to need more rock, but my LFS cures their rock for a long time, so hopefully that won't be an issue....

I really don't want to risk any livestock...

Any suggestions?

mitchellmoto
10/08/2007, 10:19 PM
I would buy a temp tub or someting to keep them in while the 300 cycles. I really don't even have 100gal if you think about the volume that the sand and rock takes up. I also wouldn't but the sand back in uncleaned. What I've heard people doing is removing the top inches or so to save and cleaning the rest out to get rid of all the crude But Just my opinion and I;m by no means an expert! Good Luck.
And remember to always post pics of the 300 build.

Lildragon
10/08/2007, 10:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10933074#post10933074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mitchellmoto
I would buy a temp tub or someting to keep them in while the 300 cycles. I really don't even have 100gal if you think about the volume that the sand and rock takes up. I also wouldn't but the sand back in uncleaned. What I've heard people doing is removing the top inches or so to save and cleaning the rest out to get rid of all the crude But Just my opinion and I;m by no means an expert! Good Luck.
And remember to always post pics of the 300 build.

Not a bad suggestion (the tub). I have a HOB filter on my QT that may be able to do double duty. It would certainly keep the pressure off and allow me to do a proper job!

I'm just in the planning stage right now (we are probably moving in July 2008), but you can never start too early! I will start a thread when the time gets nearer.

ycnibrc
10/08/2007, 11:26 PM
save as much water as you can but the sand will be a problem. I don't know how old is your tank but beneath that sand is mud and stuff you don't want to transfer to your new tank. No matter what you will experience a mini cycle so rinse the sand then put in the new tank. Since you only have 1 week to move so you can not save your old water. Some people do frequent water change 1 month before the transfer and save all water in a 50 gal trash can with a power head running by the time of transfer they use that water plus the water in the tank to make up the new volume.

Lildragon
10/09/2007, 09:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10933454#post10933454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ycnibrc
save as much water as you can but the sand will be a problem. I don't know how old is your tank but beneath that sand is mud and stuff you don't want to transfer to your new tank. No matter what you will experience a mini cycle so rinse the sand then put in the new tank. Since you only have 1 week to move so you can not save your old water. Some people do frequent water change 1 month before the transfer and save all water in a 50 gal trash can with a power head running by the time of transfer they use that water plus the water in the tank to make up the new volume.

My DSB (and tank) are 3 years old. When I started the tank my LFS had me purchase some "live sand" to seed my new sand. If I rinse the sand, will it still be "live"?

Is saving the old water important for avoiding cycling, or is it the live rock that bears the brunt of the filtration?

thor32766
10/10/2007, 09:27 AM
both. The water itself will have bacteria in it you need along with the live rock. The reuse of sand is always been frowned upon.

Lildragon
10/10/2007, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10942404#post10942404 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
both. The water itself will have bacteria in it you need along with the live rock. The reuse of sand is always been frowned upon.

The re-use of sand has been frowned upon? Interesting...When I first set up my tank I purchased some "live sand" to seed my DSB. Was that the equivalent of paying for "canned air?" :p

Seriously though...how does one get a live sand bed with "virgin" sand?

Iostream
10/10/2007, 02:16 PM
Well, some critters from the rock and such seed the sandbed. Also, when you purchase live sand, you should be getting upper layer sand. The problem with transferring the sandbed is the very bottom layers can be highly toxic. Stirring all of that mess up isn't worth the benefit you might receive. I would actually move some of the top layer of sand to help establish the bed in the new tank, but not too much of it.

Lildragon
10/11/2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful info!