PDA

View Full Version : Calcium how often?

Cheebs
10/09/2007, 12:06 AM
Hey,
I'm using Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium in my 75. They suggest I keep around 400ppm of calcium in the tank, which is fifteen scoops. I'va added that, but now I'm wondering how often I should add more. Is there a schedule I can follow or am I stuck getting some kind of test kit for calcium?

Cheers,
Cheebs.

bertoni
10/09/2007, 12:16 AM
Well, you'll need calcium and alkalinity test kits to be safe. The Bio-Calcium is a balanced additive, so once calcium and alkalinity are both okay, testing only alkalinity every few weeks should be fine. Testing calcium every few months will help keep track of any drift.

400 ppm is the total for the calcium level in the tank, not the amount to add. I'd definitely recommend getting calcium and alkalinity tested soon now.

Aquarist007
10/09/2007, 10:49 AM
this is true of new tanks--the demands for calcium won't be as much as in tanks fully stocked with corals and clams.
So testing every two months will be fine but you will have to test more often as the calcium carbonate users in your tank increase.

At that point your magnesium should also be tested--magnesium helps keep the saturation level of calcium at 400.

Randy1
10/09/2007, 06:32 PM
You need to discover your demand and dose daily cal and alk. I use 2 cups of each of the DIY part 3A.

Cheebs
10/10/2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys, I'll pick up a kit tonight.

Cheers.