PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate tank setup, within reason!

DamnPepShrimp
10/09/2007, 09:52 AM
Ok, well we all have dreamed and thought up huge tanks we'd like to have in the future, especially us FOWLR guys. We all come here to give/receive information, usually from one another, so why not share ideas of a dream tank that is feasible in the distant future? We'd all love to turn a swimming pool into a salt tank, but that isn't realistic, so I want to hear some ideas that you may carry out one day, with out hitting the lottery!

Here's mine (even though it changes every day, haha)

Plywood tanks seem to be cheapest when doing a huge tank, since they come in 8x4' sheets, I'd make my tank 96x48x30, 600g. I'd have it in wall, and would like to have it viewable from the front and one side, but that might be too expensive. Some ideas I came up with is have the overflow build into the back/side of the tank, like most acrylic tanks are coming now a days. I was considering having the sump, attached to the backside of the overflow, wrapping around the side and back of the tank that isn't viewable. Have the overflow on one end, fall into the sump, with the skimmer, then go to the UV/fuge/heaters etc etc. The logic behind all this, is I don't see a need for +200g on such a huge tank, taking up more space and the main issue, is having the sump level barely below the tank level, makes for less work for the pump, rather then pumping it up a whole floor like most basement remote mount sumps. This way you can get a smaller pump, still be efficient, and save on costs/bills! Ok, enough of that, now on to the fish list!

Angels
Emperor
Queen
Passer
Blueface
Bluering
French
Flame

Tangs
Sohal
Naso
Vlamingi
Purple
Powder blue
Yellow (possibly a school)

Other Fish
Clown Trigger
Huma Huma Trigger
Niger Trigger
Miniatus Grouper
Lunar Wrasse
Red Coris Wrasse
Harlequin Tusk
Dog Face Puffer
Some kind of eel, SFE
Sandsifter gobies, yellow head?
Maybe a school of scrappy damsels

So what does everyone think? Stock list and tank size, also about ideas etc. I would want the tank longer, but since plywood sheets come in 8ft lengths, it'd be easier this way, since this is a somewhat realistic dream tank, if that makes any sense. Someday I want a tank very similar to this, just not anytime soon!

So lets hear everyone elses ideas, set ups etc!

Bluesop7
10/09/2007, 01:11 PM
If you dont mind me interjecting....whats a plywood tank?

virginiabreeze6
10/09/2007, 02:20 PM
I think you already know what that mix of fish will do, even in a 600 gallon tank.

DamnPepShrimp
10/09/2007, 05:23 PM
A plywood tank is just that, a tank made of plywood. Although, it has a glass front, usually best for inwall set ups. It is a lot cheapier to make then getting an acrylic or glass tank, especially of huge proportions.

I really don't think that fish list will be too big of a problem. Many people have more fish in less volume. If the fish are added in the right order, size and feed properly, with plenty of hiding spots, I don't see it bigging a disaster. Still, I am no where near having a tank like that, that is why it is just a dream tank, for now.

Anyone else have any ideas or dream tanks they'd like to share? I thought this would spark more interest, guess people are happy with there set ups and never think of anything bigger/better!

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/09/2007, 06:01 PM
Mine's kinda like a dream come true tank. 10'x5'x3' Shark Pond. It'll house a M/F pair of Brownbanded Bamboo Sharks, a Yellow Ray, Magnificent Foxface, various wrasse, and 4-6 large tangs.

We'll start building within the next month or two.

DamnPepShrimp
10/09/2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I've been following your posts. I'd love to have a shark pond as well. What wrasses and tangs are you going with? Only problem with the pond, is it is a look down only. I like to be able to sit and enjoy the tank from a nice side view thru glass, no rippling water from standing above the tank. How are you setting this tank up? I'm assuming you live with your parents, what do they say about having a +1000g shark pond in their house? Haha, very cool though, be sure to post lots of picks along the way, don't know how you afford such a setup!

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/09/2007, 07:36 PM
I'll probably go with some of the larger species of wrasse and tangs, like Red Coris Wrasse, Banana Wrasse, etc. And like the Sohal Tang, Dussimier Tang, Desjardini Sailfin Tang, etc.

Well, top viewing isn't as bad as most people think. As long as you don't have your flow too high up in the tank, the water won't ripple.

As far as setting it up, I'm still in the planning stage. I would like to have the pond setup next to a small room that will keep all the equipment and such in. I want to keep everything except the pond out of view and in the fish room.

I've been saving for quite a while now, although most of that money has been going towards other people's birthdays. I don't plan to set it up all at once, it will take some amount of time. :rolleyes: But hopefully the majority of it will be up and running by next Christmas...hopefully.

Don't worry, there will be many, many pics posted. :D

DamnPepShrimp
10/09/2007, 08:41 PM
Next christmas! Ah! I don't think I can wait that long! Haha. Well good luck with the set up, wish I could set up a big tank. Every though of adding a vlamingi tang? I love those tangs, they get huge, would go great in your pond. Does working at a LFS help any with the cost?

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/10/2007, 05:33 AM
Yeah, it helps. For me, working there is kind of like heaven, I love it! I get to have fun, and get paid for it!

adam_kips
10/10/2007, 10:59 AM
i think that fish list is crazy. your gonna be taking a lot of nice fish from the ocean just to kill. that many angels together will be a problem with each other. that many tangs will be a problem. and then you want to throw some predators in there. yeah thats a great idea. almost every fish you listed will hit the 12 inch mark and get bigger. some up to 24 inches.

if your worried about saving money on the return pump for your sump i think you need to scrap the idea of a couple thousand dollars on fish. then a huge skimmer(s), large and often water changes, and food. thats all gonna cost money and not a couple dollars. i really hope that is a dream because i don't think you should even try that with all those fish. have some respect for what is stolen from the ocean and stuck in a baby tank for your pleasure.

did you post this thread to stir some people up?

DamnPepShrimp
10/10/2007, 11:26 AM
Did you read my post? I'm not doing it, its called a dream tank! I want to see what other people would want for a "dream" tank. And there is a lot worse tanks then that, just look at practically every tank in HK. Many people are throwing in tons of fish in small 200-300g tanks, and its working. I don't agree with it, and certainly wouldn't try it, but they manage. Also, what about you, do you list your sig in efforts to stir up people? A yellow tang in a 28g tank!? Also your tangs and angel will grow well over a foot and your 130g won't be big enough, at least my dream tank is just that, a dream, I have respect with what is stolen from the ocean and it isn't just for my pleasure. Read and do more research before you post, it will save you the embarassment.

adam_kips
10/10/2007, 12:30 PM
no embarrasment here. you asked for my opinion and everyone elses on your tank size and fish list. i gave it and sorry to see you got a little upset about what i thought. perhaps being more specific and not having it look like you want all the fish listed may help just a little bit. i'm not a mind reader and can't tell if your planning on a couple from each group, but maybe there is some fine print in there somewhere that i can't find thats explaining it.

but i wouldn't go with more than 2 angels depending what they are, 2-4 tangs depending on what and a couple of the wrasses provided that there is a lot of live rock for hiding places and grazing.

the yellow tang is a baby right now at an 1.5 inches and smaller than my 1 yo clowns, firefish, and royal gramma. as it hits 2.5-3 inches it will be moved and all the fish in my 130g is 3 inches except for my orange shoulder at 7 inches which is growing faster than i thought possible. i'm going to be upgrading to a larger tank in a year or 2. if not, i will find new homes for the fish if they do get a chance to outgrow their current home.

my dream tank would be to pick up an acrylic tank 8ft long and about 320g aprox for the current fish i have and maybe convert it back into a large reef like i just had. also pick up another skimmer or a much larger for the new setup along with a better ro/di unit with a boost pump

DamnPepShrimp
10/10/2007, 12:59 PM
Thank you. That is the post I am looking for. Peoples dream tanks. Just wondering what everyone else thought, if they always thought about upgrading and bigger/better things. That fish list is more of my dream fish list. I am eventually going to do a very aggressive setup, not that big though. I want to have a sohal tang, passer angel, clown trigger and maybe a wrasse, grouper, eel or puffer, but not all of them, just interested in the angel, tang and trigger.
So anyone else out there have any dream ideas? I thought this topic would get more interest, but I guess not.

JasonColtsFan
10/10/2007, 02:24 PM
for the area I have I have close to my dream tank...
I just wish I could put all the fish I want in it!
I would love to have Emperor Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Dog Face Puffer
Pair of Clowns
Harliquin Tusk Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Nasso Tang
Copper Band Butter Fly

(too bad I dont have the room for the bottom 3)
and of cousre make it a reef with all the fish not picking at the corals...lol

Jocephus
10/10/2007, 03:10 PM
Wow! You all get fired up! I was contemplating a cinder block tank in the basement, but the wifey won't go for it. I'd like to have enough room for a school of convict/yellow tangs. Like snorkeling in hawaii. :-)

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/10/2007, 03:19 PM
Adam, you yourself have two tangs that will easily reach 1'+ in a 130g? And you have the nerve to flame him? Wow.

heuerfan
10/10/2007, 03:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10942938#post10942938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adam_kips
almost every fish you listed will hit the 12 inch mark and get bigger. some up to 24 inches.

did you post this thread to stir some people up?

Umm, i'm sure your fish will grow that big as well, ie: tangs, blueface, etc....

RoWall
10/10/2007, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10942938#post10942938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by adam_kips
[B]

if your worried about saving money on the return pump for your sump i think you need to scrap the idea of a couple thousand dollars on fish.

I think doing a low energy consumption tank is not only a metter of saving money but also showing respect to nature by not using so much electricity.
I like that Idea very much so my dream tank would also have a sump near the main tank, not under it. I would also use natural sunlight- I'd put the tank under the big roof window. It'd be about 1000 gallons (10'x6'x 30") with all it's bottom covered with macroalgae for filtration and nice look. From the algae there would emerge 2-3 big pillars of live rock.
Fish list :
2x bluejaw triggers
odonus niger
pinktail trigger
guinea fowl puffer
dog face puffer
emperor angel
koran angel
h. tusk
yellowtail coris
15x banggai cardinalfish
15x treadfin cardinalfish

adam_kips
10/10/2007, 05:26 PM
i'm well aware they will hit the 12"+ mark. a couple years for most but the orange shoulder might be more soon than planned. but as i mentioned they will be going in a new tank. hopefully a year but 2 at the latest. if not, they will be finding new homes that are more suitable.

sorry to end up taking away from your thread DamnPepShrimp. people are coming at me for something i thought i had cleared up earlier.

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/10/2007, 05:57 PM
I realize you cleared it up, and I'm not trying to flame you. I'm just trying to prove a point.

Let's just put this all behind us...

Anyone else have any dream tanks?

LukFox
10/10/2007, 06:10 PM
My dream tank(s) is to move my current inhabitants to a 300g, then use my 155g to house a Japanese Dragon moray and possibly a fimbriated with it, depending if they would get along (in case of issue scratch the fimbriated). In 10 years by which time I'll likely have a permanent residence and stable job, I could see this happening.

Ranzan
10/10/2007, 06:17 PM
kinda dream tank but im starting building in the next few weeks 365 gal ray tank 6.5 ft by 5ft 1.5 ft tall holding 2 cortez rays

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/10/2007, 06:56 PM
Very cool, Ranzan. You could also do a Yellow Ray with the two Cortez Rays. Can't wait to see it up and running, good luck.

Ranzan
10/10/2007, 07:02 PM
thank you and i like the yellow ray idea i have been trying to find something else to put in the tank as i think it would seem kinda of empty with just the two cortez's.

DamnPepShrimp
10/10/2007, 09:05 PM
Glad to see this thread is going some where! Yeah, everything is cleared up, I understand just as much as everyone else in regards to the fishes well being. If we really wanted to go dream tank, I'd love to turn my parents pool into a shark tank! Wonder what kind of sharks I could have in a 25,000g pool!? Oh and if anyone has any pics, Ranzan, thesaltwaterguy, it would be great to see some of your dream tanks come to life!

Rowall, I am glad I am not the only one who likes the sump idea. It just doesn't seem to practically to have a sump a floor below the tank. I know some people have huge sumps/fish rooms, but the more room for water to travel, the more wasted energy, obviously.

Hey Joe, how is the 125g doing? Looks like I might be down grading yet again, to my 40B. So how would you make this concrete tank? Why not just do a pond liner? Just curious!

Anyone else have any ideas etc? Or details on their dream tank?

Jocephus
10/11/2007, 04:54 AM
The 125 is coming along, I'm still trying to tune in exactly who I want in there, but I think I'm going to add a trigger.

I saw someone do something similar with a concrete tank, it had an acrylic front. I have considered a pond liner setup as well though. I'm really intrigued by the setups with a ton of macro in them.

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/11/2007, 05:28 AM
Well, for a 25,000g pool, there's a variety of sharks you could keep. You could do a small breeding group of Smoothhounds, a few Blacktip Reef, and possibly a Leopard. Of course for the leopard and smoothies, you'd need a large chiller.

Jocephus
10/11/2007, 04:08 PM
How large would you need for a smoothhound? Just curious.

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/11/2007, 04:13 PM
Smoothhounds need circular ponds of at least 15' in diameter. They need cold waters to thrive, preferably in the 57-79F range.

I strongly suggest sharkraycentral.com for information about sharks and marine and freshwater rays.

Ranzan
10/11/2007, 08:08 PM
lol i asked my parents if i could turn the pool into a shark tank as well... they said no :(

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/12/2007, 05:34 AM
Too bad...:(

LOL

emperior911
10/12/2007, 04:47 PM
I will at some point have a 600 gallon FOWLR.. Here is the list of fish i want:

Angels

Blueface
Goldflake
Queen
Blue ring

Tangs

Yellow x3
purple
powderblue
blonde naso pair
hippo x3

Wrasses

Harlequin tusk
Red coris wrasse

Triggers

Blue jaw pair
Niger

krj-1168
10/12/2007, 06:00 PM
What Kind of sharks could you keep in a 25,000 gallon pond/lagoon.

Depends on the exact dimensions - but generally speaking.

The species you could possible keep in a 25,000 gallon pond/lagoon. For example - a oval shaped pool/lagoon that's about 45' long x 20' wide x an average of 4' deep would be about 25,000 gallons.

Naturally you could keep species such as Bamboos, Eppies, Horns, or Coral Cats.

Also species of - Wobbies, Smoothhounds, & Leopards. As well as small requirems such as Blacktip Reefs, Whitetip Reef, Bonnetheads, & Sharpnoses. It may be possible to even keep an Adult Nurse.

Naturally it's not recommended to keep all of these in the same 25,000 gallon pond, at the same time.

TheSaltwaterGuy
10/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Nicely written, Ken.

thor32766
10/13/2007, 10:58 AM
wow sounds like an awesome tank in the making and a lot of fish!

sharkkeeper1
04/30/2014, 06:45 PM
Smoothhounds need circular ponds of at least 15' in diameter. They need cold waters to thrive, preferably in the 57-79F range.

I strongly suggest sharkraycentral.com for information about sharks and marine and freshwater rays.

More like 12 plus x 6 plus x 3 plus would be a good size for gray or brown smoothie.

btb72
05/01/2014, 08:35 AM
You know this thread is 7 years old

SDguy
05/01/2014, 08:57 AM
You know this thread is 7 years old

The appropriate thing to say is...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/smilies/clip_image001.jpg

:D

enjetek
05/01/2014, 09:45 AM
that user has been bumping other old threads too

G4546
05/01/2014, 01:33 PM
The appropriate thing to say is...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/smilies/clip_image001.jpg

:D

:lmao: +1

moriarty
05/01/2014, 05:47 PM
Looks like we have an Archaeologist on this forum! Fun thread to dig up though ;)