PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank

Maxi
10/09/2007, 06:27 PM
Pretty soon I'm going to start off on my new tank.
Just wondering if I could keep a 10 gallon tank with a whisper filter 20, under my tank in the stand.
Just wondering if it would freak out the fish being in the stand all day...

Can I add live rock to a quarantine tank, or does it not matter?
Do I also have to cycle the quarantine tank? Should I add a cleaner shrimp to help remove any parasites off of the newly bought fish?

Thank you!
-Maxi

poppin_fresh
10/09/2007, 06:57 PM
Please understand that Qt is for observation first and treatment second. If the organism in the QT does not have a parasite or problem, there is no need to treat for anything.

A 10 gallon will make a fine quarantine tank. You would want a little light for the fish you are QTing. You dont need to keep the QT running all the time. Most people keep a filter sponge in the main system so they can drop it into the quarantines filter when needed.

Live rock is not needed in a QT, but it can add needed filtration. You could add it when you start the QT along with the sponge. Just keep in mind you will want to yank the LR if you need to medicate or use Hypo on anything in QT. I wouldn't worry about the cleaner shrimp.

mbbuna
10/09/2007, 07:13 PM
:thumbsup: what poppen-fresh said:D

just remember that if you do have live rock or a sponge filter in the QT and what ever you have in the QT shows disease or a parasite you cant put the LR or sponge back in the display tank.