PDA

View Full Version : Monster chiton not to blame. (graveyardworm, I think you were right!)

mystrybird
10/09/2007, 11:15 PM
I had posted that I was certain the Chiton I posted was to blame for the loss of some livestock in my tank. Every morning I could see the tracks it had left of the glass & other areas. Seemed to be the blame to me. Considering it had also taken up "day" residence in a large Zoanthid encusted rock.
graveyardworm, thanks for not insisiting and allowing me to find out on my own! Looks like the Chiton will continue on in my tank!

This evening I was sitting in front the tank enjoying the view with my magnifying glass.. (do not tell me I am the only one guilty of this)
When I spotted what looked like a molt of a pycnogonid. No pics, I tried to suck it out with a baster... Next time I will remember to kill the filtration and flow! (sucked up into you know where) Still pretty sure that it was it was as I had a very good 5 min of observation.

Looks like I have bigger problem that I thought! The molt floater was dime sized.

I have only read about or seen pics of these, could use some help and more info about them! I assume this is the culprit?

The following picture is the one false accused! Poor guy.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/141191chiton.JPG

SuperNerd
10/10/2007, 01:14 AM
I have one of those too. no problem here either.

graveyardworm
10/10/2007, 05:47 AM
Leslie was right, I just argued with her knowledge in hand.:D

You got one of these guys?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_spider

mystrybird
10/10/2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, I believe I may have a type of one of those guys. The molt looked much like the one pictured on Melevsreef ID site. I have been looking for it today. If I have 1 (or more?? GULP!!) That would be bad right!

Would make sense for the disruption. The only things in this tank that are not bothered seem to be sand bed corals. My open brain and plate are not disturbed.

I am going to pull the rock it may be in this evening. The Chiton is also in the rock. I understand it is very hard to get rid of these?

I really need some advise on this one! I am confused about whether a hyper dip will make them move or not. If it is there, it much hide extremly well! The molt was dime sized, and not fully expanded. That would mean it would be about double that?

Need some direction if possible! I have no problem moving the zoanthids as I do have an empty tank at the moment. Just not sure if I should remove the existing rock in the spare tank. What about fish?
Thanks!

Leslie, you were right too!!! Thanks for any help!

LeslieH
10/11/2007, 01:04 PM
It would be very bad. I would pull the rock immediately for a dip. Like the zoo-eating nudis, if you see one of them there's bound to be more. The males normally carry the eggs after fertilization so if adults are present there will be eggs as well. Pycs are very hard to kill and there are some blood-curdling horror stories on reef boards. Keep doing dips every couple of days if you see them or just get rid of the rock.

mystrybird
10/11/2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Leslie,

I pulled the rock last night for a dip and was unable to flush anything out. (assuming it is in this rock) Dang, the only things that floated out were isopods and 2 worms I can't ID. (not bristles) That Chiton won't move for anything either!
I don't want to toss the rock. When I bought it, I wasn't after the zoo's, there are a few things I want to keep. It is a nice flat rock that was topped with an assortment of corals. After closer inspection last night, I realized it contained more than I had thought. I found a small colony of Clove polyps and a small Kenya.
I am considering removing all of the zoos in order to salvage the rock. I am planning to isolate the rock this evening and start removing a few. I am also going to dip 2 more rocks that I believe the offender may be.

Thanks for the help! I am going to move my question to another area that is more appropriate to the question. Any advice as to what area?
Thanks Again!