PDA

View Full Version : IMO pricing for swaps like to hear YO

LUCKYLATO
10/10/2007, 09:06 AM
This conversation all started with a couple Reef guys I know but wont mention but I thought it was revelent to bring up Let me first start by saying thank you to Nate for hosting this swap. Nate has done alot for me and has helped me get my reef up and started again along with some others thanks to all of you that helped me get up and running. However I was speaking to a couple RC members aranging pricing for the upcoming swap. One member posted a price on a frag and then contacted me to raise the price from the posting another was charging same price as LFS only after I brought up the priceing did and I quote they wrote I do have to remember this is a swap. There are a couple of members that give away there frags to start out other beginers I feel this is the true reefer one who passes on the fever of reefing This member and other like him have the right idea Im not saying give it away but the priceing is getting to be like visiting a LFS These swaps all started due to reef owners getting tired of LFS stores marking up 200 to 400% Plus they could get a variety of corals that there LFS did not carry and a place were they could get a good deal also were they could swap there frags for other frags I remember when you could get the most extreme frags for 10.00 now some of our members would like to get LFS pricesfor frags. Remember this is my expressed opinion maybe Im wrong and need to be corrected.

fatrip
10/10/2007, 09:30 AM
Im not to sure who you are reffering to about priceing, but all of the prices that have been posted on the forum look pretty good to me. most of the frags that are being sold are way way under LFS prices. i dont think i have seen any LFS with corals priced under 30 then if you get it on line add shipping to it and it over 60 dollars for most frags. So IMO all of the pricing for these frags are way under the price someone would pay normally. But about some one pming you and telling you they raised the posted price. that is just insain, unless they miss wrote on the post and told you that and fixed it afterwards. But for someone to do that IMO, they have not moral value from there word, and i personly wouldnt buy anything from them. but again that is just my opinon.

stressed damsel
10/10/2007, 09:58 AM
All I can say is that I have ALWAYS gotten good deals on frags from the members in this club. I myself have be guilty of giveing them away for next to nothing or making sure the frags I sell are "Man size" ...

fatrip
10/10/2007, 10:17 AM
YAY for MAN SIZE frags....lol...

Dave VG
10/10/2007, 10:21 AM
I have only purchased out side the STRS once. All others have been from members. Prices have been real good not even close to LFS or online prices. As far as upping the price posted I agree totally with vince. It is up to you at this point to take it or leave it.

stressed damsel
10/10/2007, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10942677#post10942677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
YAY for MAN SIZE frags....lol...

:bounce2: :rollface: :bounce1: :beer:

nwrogers
10/10/2007, 03:10 PM
Well I think all of the prices I have seen so far are fair. When I joined the reef clubs in 2005 the prices were the same as they are now. The average frag going for $10 to $15 with bigger frags or slower growing frags (many times LPS) going for $25. I remember my first meet was on the west side of Binghamton and I paid $10 or $15 for most of my small SPS frags and $25 for a yellow fiji leather frag. In theory giving away frags is nice but with all of the costs of growing the corals for example electricity, bulb replacement, and everything else it is just not feasible for some people. I have given frags away to members that I see more often and especially if they have bought frags from me more than once. I paid for 95% of my frags so sell them for what I paid for them, sometimes less. Seems fair to me. I don’t know who tried changing the asking price for a frag that was already sold but that is kind of cheesy. But let’s remember everyone has done something dumb or cheesy so I would just let bygones be bygones. Just my two cents…

Dave VG
10/10/2007, 03:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10944632#post10944632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nwrogers
But let’s remember everyone has done something dumb or cheesy so I would just let bygones be bygones. Just my two cents…

Yer right nate well said.

LUCKYLATO
10/10/2007, 06:44 PM
All great points and thank you for sharing your opinions. Like I said we were discussing prices on some frags and there are some good deals out there however some are ?able and when I started they were cheaper however I guess like nate put it the cost of bulbs,electric,supliments all stuff your doing anyway to grow your tank.

fish1219
10/11/2007, 04:32 AM
All of the corals in my tank have come from STRS members. I beleive the prices were fair. Without frag swaps I would have a FOLWR tank as its to expensive in the LFS. I sell or give away my frags. I try to give away frags to new STRS members I know and that have helped with the zoo project. Also I do not have much to sell as I have what everyone else in the club has. What I've seen for selling (in general and my experience) is:
Softies - $5-$10
LPS - $10-$15
SPS - $10-$25

Szwalla
10/11/2007, 06:58 AM
From my experience I made out well (I have only went to one frag meet). I purchased frags at a low price and then picked up a couple extra frags even cheaper because the intended purchaser (is that a word?) failed to show.

Blugobi
10/11/2007, 08:03 AM
For myself, I would much rather trade than sell any day. All of my corals except a few very recent purchases have been thru frag swaps....I think I have paid as much as $35 for a frag, but it was a hard to find Acro and it was 3" plus frag....Well worth the price. At the LFS it would have been double that and online even more. No one likes to over pay for anything, However cost is relative too need....if you want it bad enough, you will pay the price.

I think I have posted two corals at the $25.00 range and both have sold within an hour of the post. I paid the same for the original frag and feel it is fair. I have also given away frags to friends and newbies, and the reciprocation has been nothing but fair.

Lucky....you bring up a good subject here and it should be discussed. I would like us to hold a Trade only frag swap or a $10.00 max frag swap. <<<< this would be very affordable for any reefer.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Geo

fatrip
10/11/2007, 08:13 AM
you paid 35 at a frag swap?? where was that swap...i dont think i have paid more than 20 dollars for any of my frags even out side of the frag swaping scene. I dont think i have sold a frag for more than 10 either. but i think more of his beginning post was geared towards some one saying and agreaing on a price and then just going and changing the price. that is just lutacris, i can't see why some one would go back on there word over 5 or at most 10 dollars more. especially if the person is getting more than one frag from that person. just my thoughts.

LUCKYLATO
10/11/2007, 09:04 AM
well I have been given prices on softies on this trade that went from 15. to 45 that`is what brought up my comments.

fatrip
10/11/2007, 09:29 AM
45 for a softy...sh** that thing must be made of gold...or atleast be a few in the colonie...lol...even 15 is high...lol...i've got some softies...5 beans and you've got a frag...lol..

razzmatazz
10/11/2007, 11:32 AM
I said IT IS A SWAP
and asked you what you thought was a fair price on one this size and was willing to work with you and this is what I get.
$15 for a Ricordea multi mouth up to if not larger than a half dollar. Some multi head not just multi mouth. So what do others think is a fair price.

LUCKYLATO
((after further searches i have found that 15 is a little high for each))

razzmatazz
{{what I found was less than a dime in size to less than a quarter in size. These are 50 cent size some larger and some multi mouth, so not realy a bad price. no shipping, but it is a swap what do yoou think a fair price on rics this size is worth? }}

fatrip
10/11/2007, 12:00 PM
for a ric that is a very fair pricefor one head...i paid 20 for one head with 2 mouths...i think it is a very reasonable price for rics, they are very pritty and there for hold a high price tag...

nwrogers
10/11/2007, 06:25 PM
I sell my rics for about $20, my nicer/rare ones for $25 and the less nice/more common ones for $15. I think $15 for one of your rics razz is a very good price. In fact I am buying two of them from her because I think the price is right. Rics are hard to get and they are extremely beautiful. The demand is high so is the price. I see nothing wrong with that. Now common xenia for $25 a frag that is another story :lol:

LUCKYLATO
10/11/2007, 06:36 PM
Raz first Im not roasting your price on your splended rics I mearly am concerned about pricing in general your rics could be worth 15. here is a link to a friends ebay auction buy it now who is selling them for 9.99 a ric I emailed him and they are around the same size as what you are asking 15.00 no it isnt double mouth yes there is shipping to deal with. Look Im not looking to haggle you down if you feel there woth 15. ok here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Ricordia-Aquarium-Reef-Live_W0QQitemZ15 0169878600QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
My point and others are we look forward to the swaps to get corals at small prices to grow and pass on the the next reefer at the next swap.

fatrip
10/11/2007, 06:42 PM
the link doesnt work? where is your friend out of for that price ill buy them all...lol...

Piazzon12
10/11/2007, 06:55 PM
I agree that you definately feel the cost pressure when you are either just getting started or getting back in. Once you have some unique pieces of your own to offer as trades, it's not so bad (because there is no cash involved) and the playing field is more level. I definately spent alot at the last couple of swaps (which were my first). With the LFS supply as terrible and pricey as it is around here, the demand is high which may be affecting costs. Heck, I've even GSP being sold at $40+ at our LFS's and it isn't even neon green (closer to brown and dying).
I know when I first found URS/STRS the prices seemed like a steal compared to what I was ready to pay elsewhere, so it never really bothered me, and I've used those prices as a basis for eventual sales.

Piazzon12
10/11/2007, 07:00 PM
just copy the second line and append..... or click here http://stores.ebay.com/Alex-Marine-Life
Not too bad if you buy all 4

LUCKYLATO
10/11/2007, 07:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-Ricordia-Aquarium-Reef-Live_W0QQitemZ150169878600QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LUCKYLATO
10/11/2007, 07:05 PM
between garfs and Ebay I started my first softie tank

razzmatazz
10/11/2007, 07:07 PM
well thank you for the link 9,99 + 45 shipping, I think I will hold on to my multi color ricks and put them on ebay this is what they are. ebay item # 130161371065 and free shipping so Id feel realy bad if I bought more than one at these prices as it would add up rather quickly
Im done now.

LUCKYLATO
10/11/2007, 07:08 PM
I recently purchased 4 the size of a quarter the are green and red from a strs for 15. yes four for 15 from suzlucky.

fatrip
10/12/2007, 06:12 AM
Razz, if that ric you reffered to on ebay is the ones you have i will buy them all... those are beautiful and i have never seen them around here. and when you mean done, i hope that you mean fighting with lucky here, cause we all still want you to come to the meet. i dont what this guy to give you a bad tast in your mouth about our reef club down here. Hope to see you soon. :)

LUCKYLATO
10/12/2007, 06:20 AM
how am i putting a bad taste I brought up price I asked for opinions if anyone has taken offense I appologise I thought this was a democratic club

razzmatazz
10/12/2007, 06:47 AM
This is fine and if the plain colors are what you want for $5-$10 than go ahead I am only saying the Hot Neion Orange with purple are more expensive than some others Also if you look around and find a true hot pink they are few and highly priced. Im sorry to affend you and others If I had plain rics I woiuld gladly let them go for $5. I se a huge clump of coommon ones go for $175 and 20 for $175. That is a cool. I am not making you buy them just defending my price. I could go lower but seing the cost of this color elswhere I am still mor than half the price. Thanks all and enjoy the swap

Dave VG
10/12/2007, 08:15 AM
I hope you are still coming to the meet razz. i'm not affended and was looking foward to your frags and was thinking about buying more to boot . From what i've heard your stuff A1. prices looked to me to be very good.

stressed damsel
10/12/2007, 09:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10956228#post10956228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LUCKYLATO
how am i putting a bad taste I brought up price I asked for opinions if anyone has taken offense I appologise I thought this was a democratic club

I thought this club was a dictatorship ...Hail Jerry!!!

nwrogers
10/12/2007, 09:37 AM
OK this thread is starting to suck! Lucky you are not comparing apples to apples here. The ricordia mushrooms razz has are much nicer than the ones you linked to for $10! I have also bought ricordia from ebay and you want to know what I paid? I paid $150 for three blue rics!!!! Was it a good deal? Yes! My blue rics are 10 times nicer than the one for sale on that site for $10. Not all ricordia are created equal and the intensely colored ones always sell for more. Also I will not be selling my blue rics to anyone for less than $25. I have always thought a fair price for a corals is to sell it for half of what I got if for. Sometimes I sell it for less than half if it is a fast grower. With that said anyone who owns rics will agree with me that rics are anything but fast growers! Because they are slow growers, they are expensive to obtain, and not many people are willing to sell them gives them a high value at frag swaps. This is not anything new. There wasn’t one ric for sale at the last meet I went to in Buffalo so I consider ourselves lucky to have razz attending our meet and willing to sell her rics at a very fair price!!! I understand questioning the price of a coral or asking for a coral for less money but that is something that should be done in private. Now this has become public, whether it was meant to or not, and because this is a democratic club everyone has a right to post their feelings about it. I hope you don’t take offence to anything I said Lucky but $15 is really fair IMO. I am with Razz on this one. I just don’t see how or why she should sell them for less.

BTW. You bought rics from suzlucky when she was getting out of the hobby. Again you are not comparing apples to apples. When people have livestock they need to get rid of when getting out of the hobby they usually sell it for much less than it is actually worth.

Dave VG
10/12/2007, 10:10 AM
dito

LUCKYLATO
10/12/2007, 02:09 PM
hmmm

drbronx
10/12/2007, 02:14 PM
Everybody has their own rules for establishing the price of a coral. There is no universal standard. My own standards are my own cost of purchase of the coral, rate of growth (slow growing corals are more expensive), scarcity of the coral, degree of difficulty involved in propogation. To set an arbitrary price limit would undermine our endeavor. With that in mind I typically give away xenia elongata, kenya trees etc. I have some softies that go for as much as $80/frag such as my blue heteroxenia since they are rare, slow growing and almost impossible to cultivate. I have some sps corals that go for $80 or more for non STRS members due to extreme rarity, high demand and slow growth (Tyree's Ponape Rosaria, Tyree's Purple monster, Bytors Green Tort etc. ). I could never consider selling those for $15. Nor would I expect most people to consider purchasing corals at such high prices. However, some do seek out certain corals, understand their value and are willing to buy them without complaint. But, as with any market, prices do eventually drop as more people posess a given coral. For example, orange capricornis used to command as much as $60 per frag. Now frags of that are extremely cheap due to their widespread availability. My own experience is that all prices have been extremely fair at all the frag swaps I've been to and corals sold at these swaps are typically a fraction of LFS or on-line vendors (not including the shipping). Nobody is compelled to buy anything and we all have to be responsible in keeping within our own spending limitations and capabilities. I don't believe anyone here is looking to make a profit but rather just to defray some of the costs of the hobby. People have also been insanely gracious in donating corals to the zoo that they could have sold. Even many with small or immature systems have been extremely giving. So I don't believe anyone here is price gauging. So my advice to all is to buy what you like and think is fair and can afford and we'll enjoy each others company and this incredible hobby and nate's gracious hospitality for hosting this swap.

LUCKYLATO
10/12/2007, 10:22 PM
couldnt agree with you more for the rare corals.