PDA

View Full Version : What size to drill holes?

Bud's Reef
10/10/2007, 01:03 PM
After getting information from Chrisjet on where to get the bits and how to drill a tank, I'm planning on drilling a 30G breeder that I am going to use as a frag tank and a 29G tank that will be used as a refugium in a totally different system. What size bulkheads should be used for the overflow and the return? Where should the overflows be drilled? Thanks for any and all help.

kgross
10/10/2007, 01:26 PM
What flow rate do plan on running throught he overflow.

A good start would be a 1inch drain and I would have your return over the top, less headaches that way. On the overflow drill a few inches below the top of the tank in the back and do a califo style coast to coast overflow.

Kim

Bud's Reef
10/10/2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Kim! For the 30G frag tank I think I want 400-500gph. For the refugium I'm not sure yet what kind of flow rate to go for. It will be part of a 120G tank with dual overflows, a 70G tub of LR, a sump for skimmer and return, and the 30G refugium. I expect the total system to be about 215G with flow at around 1200-1400GPH. I'm thinking I'll split one of the overflows so that it is much slower through the refugium, maybe 500-600GPH. Where can I find information on the califo style?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10943535#post10943535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kgross
What flow rate do plan on running throught he overflow.

A good start would be a 1inch drain and I would have your return over the top, less headaches that way. On the overflow drill a few inches below the top of the tank in the back and do a califo style coast to coast overflow.

Kim