PDA

View Full Version : in-wall tank height

nullmn
10/10/2007, 12:41 PM
Hello!

I have had a 100g reef tank in the living room for the past 4 years. The tank is getting scratched up and it is time for a redo. After having seen some beautiful 'in-wall' tanks on this site I have decided to go that route.

This will be a long term project involving modifying a wall (of course) and I am only just getting started on the drawings. Thus I am at one of my first decisions... What height should an in-wall tank be at? The tank face will be 48Lx24H.

The existing tank is great for viewing while sitting on the couch but the location for the in-wall tank will be better suited for viewing while standing or perhaps while seated on a bar stool.

I put some tape on the wall where I think it should be placed for a standing view but access to the top of the tank for maintainance seems too high.

Anyone have some experience with this? Recommendations? I am leaning towards 'bar table' height for the bottom edge of the tank.

Thanks!
Nick

builderguy
10/10/2007, 01:19 PM
I just built an in-wall with a base height of 42". It's a 30"H tank as well so I need to use a stool to get into it.

H2OLUVSME
10/10/2007, 02:29 PM
Im planning a 180, and the stand height will be 42". My buddy has a 120 (48x24 viewing pane), and Im basing the height off of his stand. His is comfortable to look at standing, or sitting in the chairs that are 3-4' away.

My 75 (21" high) was on the standard 28" AGA stand and I needed a stool to do any major work in it. Ill just have to go up to the second step on the new tank :D

extinguishfire
10/11/2007, 02:24 PM
I just installed a 295 gal in wall and went with a 42" stand height as well. It puts it perfect height for viewing and not having to bend over. But you have to have a ladder to do any work in it except for feeding.

nullmn
10/11/2007, 02:32 PM
Hi again!

Sounds like 42" is the answer (to the ultimate question of...)!

Wow! A 295g tank. That's big. Mine will be about 140 (48Lx24Hx30W).

Thanks for your responses!
Nick

extinguishfire
10/11/2007, 03:47 PM
My previous tank was a 140 gallon which is still running holding all my fish until my 295 cycles.