PDA

View Full Version : Transporting my tank..........

MMathews
10/10/2007, 01:15 PM
I am finally ready to move my fish tank to my new apartment. I am upgrading from a 29g to a 75g. In the 29g I had about a 3-4 in sand bed, w/ out a sump. In the 75g I will have a sump/fuge. I am putting a very thin layer of sand in the 75g display tank and using the rest for a dsb in my fuge. Any helpful ideas on how to make the move as smooth as possible on my 4 fish. I also have some coral, but only 2 pieces. Thanks guys!

fishdoc11
10/10/2007, 06:01 PM
Reuse as much water as you can. It will be hard because of the tank upgrade but that seemed to be the key with my moving successes. Don't reuse any sand, that will only create nutrient problems later. If you must reuse sand reusing the top 1" or so should be ok. Moving fish in aerated buckets(using a battery powered air pump) with lids seems to work well.
hth, Chris

agoutihead
10/11/2007, 12:31 AM
what if the sand bed is say, less than 6 months old?

Reusing the same sand bed then shouldn't be a problem should it?

ideally I would prefer to use the current sand in my display and my fuge. It's got all the goodies (and I suppose all the bad too) But still, If you can let it settle before adding most of your coral and fish to it, you should be fine shouldn't you?

fishdoc11
10/11/2007, 07:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10948137#post10948137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agoutihead
what if the sand bed is say, less than 6 months old?

Reusing the same sand bed then shouldn't be a problem should it?

ideally I would prefer to use the current sand in my display and my fuge. It's got all the goodies (and I suppose all the bad too) But still, If you can let it settle before adding most of your coral and fish to it, you should be fine shouldn't you?

It really depends and one would think that would be ok because it hasn't had a long time to build up nutrients.....especially if really good flow has been present in the tank.
It's a judgement call and I typically wouldn't reuse it ......at least not the bottom 75% or so. Most sandbeds fill up over time and I would take the oppourtunity to start over. Of course if you pull it out and it looks clean there you go:)

Chris