PDA

View Full Version : lateral line or HLLE

beaglelax
10/10/2007, 08:55 PM
In my two tanks the 75 and 220 both fish seem to show minimal signs of hlle. I feed very good food and have a ground probe in the tank. Yet the fish still show signs of HLLE where can i go from here i do all my regular water changes and the fish other then mimiaml Hlle seem fine nothing out of the ordenary that i havnt seen in the 6 yrs of doin this. Please any suggestions

Thank you
beagle

just dave
10/10/2007, 09:40 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fish don’t like electrical current to flow through their bodies. When higher electrical current levels flow through the water, fish will orient their bodies to minimize the potential (voltage) across their bodies, thereby minimizing the electrical current flowing through their bodies. At very low levels, the fish may only act strangely or seek areas of the aquarium where electrical current is not flowing. It is doubtful that continuous current flow through a fish’s body is beneficial, and may in fact be the source of anecdotal reports of Hole in the Head disease and Lateral Line Erosion. If your tank is at a different potential from the “ground” in your house, no electrical current may exist in your tank based on this static voltage. However as soon as you ground your tank by inserting a “grounding probe”, you will be guaranteed to have electrical current flowing even if the voltage drops.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
In conclusion, the addition of a “grounding probes” will guarantee an electrical current flow in your aquarium and may induce erratic behavior or disease in your fish. If you have defective aquarium appliances that are creating a current path in your aquarium by using the salt water as a conductive medium, then the solution is to repair the appliances or replace them... not divert a portion of the current into a “grounding probe”.

Here (http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GroundingProbes.html) and here. (http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GFI&TechnicalDetails.html)

beaglelax
10/10/2007, 10:43 PM
i think u lost i have grounding probes in both tanks but still the lines ...

cd77
10/10/2007, 11:14 PM
I think he is suggesting based on the references that you remove the grounding probes and search for the source of your stray current, if you have any.

Interesting reads, dave.

flyyyguy
10/10/2007, 11:15 PM
i dont use grounding probes..........but nor was I aware of what Just dave just quoted.

I think his point WAS your grounding probes need to go

KDodds
10/11/2007, 05:22 AM
What fish species are these and what exactly are you feeding?

m2434
10/11/2007, 05:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10947923#post10947923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
i dont use grounding probes..........but nor was I aware of what Just dave just quoted.

I think his point WAS your grounding probes need to go

Daves quote was too long to quote. Ground probes are the gimic of all gimics! Could an electrical engineer please explain this concept. In addition to Daves argument, I must add that electricity takes the path of least resistance, this is a basic fact... it does not scatter all over the place as the ground probe marketing campaign appears to be saying... I've talked with a few electrical engineers and they all agree this is BS! don't waste your money....:eek2:

beaglelax
10/11/2007, 11:37 AM
once i remove the probes and then find the stray voltage then what what can i really do to help prevent it ?

KDodds
10/11/2007, 12:21 PM
It may not be the probe. Even if the theory is correct, you still need the stray voltage, which may not be the case. Besides, healing and preventing it from getting worse are entirely different things, really. What species are these and what are you currently feeding them? Because you're talking about two separate tanks, it's doubtful BOTH are hardware related, and where you can eliminate it in one, you really have to question it in the other. My guess... look for a common cause, and that would be diet, water source, those kinds of things.

SlowCobra
10/11/2007, 12:36 PM
For prevention figure out what is causing it and either repair or replace the malfunctioning equipment.

For treatment/recovery:

I had a Powder Brown Tang develop lateral line disease due to improper diet. Despite my feeding a wide variety of foods it apparently was not enough. I checked for stray voltage and luckily found none.

With every feeding now I add 2-3 drops of Kent's Garlic and 4-5 drops of selcon.

Not only did he make a full recovery but unless you actually knew he had it you would probably never be able to tell he was ever "sick".

***Disclaimer**The following information is not meant to insult your intelligence in any way shape or form.

From all the research I did on it, it seems providing dietary supplementation with the garlic and Selcon seemingly works the best. The selcon provides any missing vitamin/nutrients and the garlic helps boost the natural immune system to aid in a recovery.

Some people have no idea that these supplements exist or actually work so if you are aware of them, well then please don't take my post as you have no clue. I am simply offering up information as to what worked for me in the recovery of my LLE.

When I saw my tang getting it I freaked as he is a beautiful specimen. It actually went on for several weeks untreated as initially it was just one side and I thought he may have just scratched himself on some rocks. Oh how wrong I turned out to be. As soon as I realized what it was I was all over RC and google searching to find the best course of action. And, well, here we are now. :)

thor32766
10/11/2007, 12:37 PM
what fish do you have? what are you feeding?

beaglelax
10/12/2007, 08:49 PM
in my 220 i have 1 lion 1 chevron 1 mimic 1 black trigger 1 sargasum trigger 1 majestic angel all under 6 inches and i feed them a mixture (all omega-one foods) of brine, mysis, blood worms, small shrimp and the lion and triggers get a rotated krill one day and silver sides the next.......the 75 i have one maroon clown(6+yrs old) 1 yellow tang 1 pseudeo 1 anularis 1 squirl fish and like before the get the mix of omega-one brine, mysis, blood worms and small shrimp... i also soak the food in zoecon for 20mins before feeding....

thank you
beagle

beaglelax
10/12/2007, 08:50 PM
o yea the 220 gets the green and red pellets daily

Roy G. Biv
10/12/2007, 09:01 PM
To help locate a defective device.. Clamp this over the ground wire.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61oZ88%2Bk-gL._AA280_.gif

You WILL get a reading. Unplug one device at a time until the reading goes down... by a significant amout. Then you have found the bad device.

In my experience................
When I first started this hobby, I didnt use a ground probe. Any angel I tried to keep developed hole in the head. My LFS recomended a ground probe. Since then I never had a fish with a single hole in its face. Maybe coincedence or not, but my tank has one.

KDodds
10/13/2007, 05:07 AM
Which fish are showing symtpoms of HLLE? No offense, but the diet you're offering is, I think, the prime culprit. Angels and/or Tangs are the affected fish?

beaglelax
10/13/2007, 05:21 PM
yea what should i do feed more greens

KDodds
10/13/2007, 05:52 PM
Yup, and a more varied diet. I prefer to lay off of brine shrimp and blood worms almost completely, feeding bloodworms maybe once per week and Brine Shrimp only if it's in a "mixed" frozen food. I've never had an incidence of HLLE. I feed ON Formula One, Two, Spirulina, and Angel, SFBB Angel and Butterfly, Marine Cuisine, and Emerald Entree, Hikari Mysis, Plankton and Bloodworms, Chopped Shrimp, PE Mysis, Prawns, and NLS pellets. I saturate the pellets in Selcon, Zoe, and Garlic before feeding. Fortifying frozen food gets very little of the supplement in the fish and much more, almost all of it, in the water. Nori sheets might also be a good idea. These will also absorb supplements like the pellets will. You shouldn't notice progress right away, bu take a picture of the affected fish now, and in two months, and I think you'll be pleased with what you see.

beaglelax
10/14/2007, 05:24 PM
tyty huh i just realized u like in suffern i live in greenwood lake small world

KDodds
10/14/2007, 05:26 PM
LOL, yup, I didn't even look. What LFS do you use?

beaglelax
10/14/2007, 05:51 PM
jawz in terry town, u?

KDodds
10/15/2007, 04:12 AM
I have to get there at some point, it's right in the path of my commute, but I use Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ.

beaglelax
10/15/2007, 05:29 PM
no way to expensive and there fish dont live i love jawz Lou(the owner) and mike are awsome i go to absolute just to see the fish but ill never buy one from there again

Roy G. Biv
10/15/2007, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10978195#post10978195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beaglelax
no way to expensive and there fish dont live i love jawz Lou(the owner) and mike are awsome i go to absolute just to see the fish but ill never buy one from there again

I hardly buy from them. Maybe if they have something obscure Ill buy it. I cant justify 33% higher price than other LFS's. By the way.. I was just in Warwick this weekend. You guys have some nice apples :)

KDodds
10/15/2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, we usually get some really good apple picking (and pumpkins) around here. We haven't been this year yet, though.

Absolutely Fish's prices are usually pretty much inline with online pricing, especially for "obscure" species. You might want to check them out. They're only about 20-30 minutes from 287 down the GSP, especially on a Sunday.

beaglelax
10/15/2007, 06:51 PM
yea i havnt been there in a while, ill maybe swing that way tomorrow, as for the apple picking ure one of those guys, (all that traffic on the weekends i cant go anywhere) :-P na just playing. the apple fest is a good time, o yea by the way my fish never had hlle i just notice there hlle and thought there was something wrong :-)

KDodds
10/16/2007, 05:15 AM
:lol: Not me, that's all the guys from Westchester clogging up 287, they clog my path too. :)

They don't have HLLE? What's wrong with them then?

beaglelax
10/16/2007, 02:44 PM
it is just there natural line that is on there body that u can seen on all fish, for some reason i though there had HLLE come to find out its a natural line that runs the body nothing to be worried about :-)

KDodds
10/16/2007, 07:28 PM
Ah, okey-dokey.