PDA

View Full Version : 28 gal jbj 150 hqi and stocking plans?

twelvejewelz
10/10/2007, 09:19 PM
hello , ive read the forums for the past 3 months about on average 3-5 hours a day trying to reesearch sarting a nono reef. i was wondering if anyone can give me a breakdown on each item i will initally need to buy so get going.this system comes with a skimmer and 150 hqi lighting stock so i will not be modding the lighting or anything else for that matter besides probably making the center chamber a reugium.i would need a list of each item and price if possible . just want to sort of have an idea of how much ill need to put aside initally as i know it will cost me monthly.im gona be putting mabe a clam,some hard corals,soft corals,zoas,and probably 4 fish.is there anything im missing and am i good to go with all this ?plus what do you think about the fish combo and invert combo. any potential problems?any and all info would be greeatly apreciated.thanks :)

1.tank &stand- $650
2.heater - $20
3.liverock 30lbs -roughly $150
4.livesand 20lbs -$30
5.test kit - $50
6.Vital Sine Refractometer - $110
7.1 powerhead - $40
8.Nutri-SeaWater aprox.25 gallons - $130
9.kent NanoReef Parts A & B - $11
10.digi thermometer - $10
11.kent garlic extreme - $10
12.kent Marine Coral-Vite - $15
13.foods - $30

and later livestock:

14.2 ocellaris clown -$40
15.1 neon blue goby - $20
16.1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby - $20
17.1 Coral Beauty Angelfish - $ 30
18.clean up crew - $50
19.pistol shrim - $20
20.skunk cleaner - $20

twelvejewelz
10/12/2007, 12:48 AM
no takers lol ?:rolleyes:

aaronpentz
10/12/2007, 10:02 AM
I dont see any problems with most of the fish. The only one that will give you problems is the angelfish. I had a Bicolored and he left most of the stuff alone but would nip at my zoos and was just all around nasty towards other fish. Some are good in reef tanks others are not you just have to watch them.

twelvejewelz
10/13/2007, 09:23 AM
wow no more? i thought this would be a good post cause people always want to know what stuff cost... no more answeres ??

InLimbo87
10/13/2007, 09:32 AM
I would also ditch the angelfish. IMO the 28 will be too small for it full grown, and it will most likely nip at your corals at one point or another.

Tylt33
10/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Plan on spending $1200 to $1500 total for your setup. You're missing a lot of key things that you probably haven't thought about, some optional, some not: Chiller+Tubing and pump, Fish Net, Gloves, Aqua Tongs, Algae Scraper, PhosBan, Epoxy, 5 Gallon Water Jugs, etc.

There's a million little things in this hobby that you don't realize you need until you have a problem and no fix.

But watch out for the snake oil.

My rule of thumb is plan on spending $40-$50 per gallon for your first tank from Start to Lightly Stocked. Your choice of fish and corals will bump it up from there.

And you need to either ditch the clowns or the angel. I'm thinking about getting the 28 HQI just to tinker around with, and I'm probably going to run just a Flame Angel in it.

Illuminati
10/13/2007, 11:16 AM
Your drygoods list is good. If you want to save money on the rock check out www.marcorocks.com and look into his 25 pound box of figi. Then if you have an LFS in your area get a little bit of live rock and live sand from them to seed that rock. It will take longer to cure but is cheaper.

I'm not familiar with this:
8.Nutri-SeaWater aprox.25 gallons - $130
Is that a premixed saltwater or a dry mix. I use Reef Crystals, it's a good salt and is inexpensive at Dr Foster and Smiths website.

Gotta agree with the others on the angel. I had a Flame Angel and he was just way to active for a tank this size. He also nipped on a Purple Gorg until I gave it away because he affected polyp extension of the coral.
Also I have a Blue Neon Goby, what a waste of a fish. Boring, doesn't swim in the open much, usually just hangs along the back wall. When I redo my tank he'll get a new home.

mr_cali
10/14/2007, 02:17 PM
i second the chiller. I have the same system too and it gets pretty hot without one. if you want to conserve money, i would spend less on a refractometer and put that into a 1/15 or 1/10 chiller (i use the jbj 1/15).

i think they sell two types of stands for the system. i highly recommend the stronger stand over the one it typically sells with. it looks so much better and feels much more stable.

i also agree with the comments on the angelfish and the neon blue goby. i think a nice blue maxima clam with give that pop of blue you might be looking for.

the middle chamber is perfect for a fuge as well. i would stick some lr and chaeto in it and purchase a light that you could easily attach to it via double sided velcro (that you could purchase at home depot). I use the coralife 18w...but some people just buy cheap lights from home depot.

also, kent nano reef part a & b work well, and i used to use it, but i now go with a combo of reef solution (once a day), c-balance (once a day) and lugol solution (once a week) and my tank is doing great. i was able to get all the stuff for my tank for much less than 1,000. you just have to shop around well. good luck with it. i love the system.

oh, also, the stock flow in the tank is pretty good (it actually blows a bit too strong for my yumas, xenia and palys in certain areas). unless you are doing a bunch of sps, i don't think you have to add another pump. that's just my opinion though.