PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank

newtoreefkeepin
10/11/2007, 01:42 AM
i need help i want to set up a quarantine tank when i set up my new 125 what is needed for an effective set up i have two extra 55 gal tanks would one of these suffice if so what kind of equipment is need to use one

demonsp
10/11/2007, 02:21 AM
Skimmer, power heads ,atleast one good one. Some light would be nice , nothing special. Mb a piece of rock to make him more cozy.

NirvanaFan
10/11/2007, 08:01 AM
I would put a powerhead or two in there, just a regular strip light to look at the fish, some pieces of pvc (4 or 5) that are big enough for the fish to swim in and out of, and a hang on back filter. I would put the sponge for the filter in your display for a few days to get bacteria to colonize on it before you get the fish. You'll probably need a heater as well.

kevin2000
10/11/2007, 09:11 AM
Heres a good link discussing how to setup a QT.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288805

A QT should be sized based on the number and type/size of the fish. In general a ten gallon tank is fine for one or two small fish and much easier to manage than a 55 gallon tank. Also .. if you have to treat the fish the smaller the tank the less medication required.

newtoreefkeepin
10/11/2007, 09:32 PM
i was going to use this 55 gallon to qyarantine my live rock when i purchase it or is this not a neccesary step i am so confused do i set up the quarantine at the same time as the main tank or set up the main tank with the live rock and use water from it make a quarantine tank plz i need some light shed on this

kevin2000
10/12/2007, 09:01 AM
My 02

If your just setting up your show tank and are using cured live rock I would just place the live rock directly into your show tank. If the live rock is uncured then you should consider curing it before placing it into your show tank (the curing process is often a smelly process which involved numerous water changes).

Not sure I understand the "using water from the show tank comment. Its a common but incorrect belief that using show tank water in the QT transfers beneficial bacteria - not true. The beneficial bacteria reside in your show tank filter media, live rock, tank walls and substrate. People use show tank water in their QT's usually because a fish is being treated which is coming from the ST and the fish is already acclimated to the water so they don't have to re-acclimate the fish.

If you want to Qt a fish while your ST is cycling thats OK .. but since your QT won't have a mature bio filter you should be prepared to do water changes to control ammonia levels. Read the link I provided - has some good tips on Qting.