PDA

View Full Version : Can Cleaner shrimp live with Coral Bandit Shrimp

reef rico
10/11/2007, 03:51 AM
Can my 2 coral bandit shrimps live in harmony with a cleaner shrimp?

k9fishkeeper
10/11/2007, 04:46 PM
banded

SuperNerd
10/11/2007, 04:52 PM
depends on size of tank. it's usually the case with a lot of things in this hobby.

Wrench
10/11/2007, 05:41 PM
In my 45g reef I had one of each and they were fine. I just added a pair of Cleaners to my 120 that has a pair of CBS and the cleaners only lasted 2 days.

Reefynewby
10/11/2007, 07:12 PM
As with most marine livestock, it depends largely on individuals, and size of tank. If the shrimp are introduced to opposite sides of tank, and behave like mine (they stay nearest where they were introduced, and originally fought amongst THEMSELVES), they won't have a problem. A cleaner and a coral banded can safely co-exist in probably anything above 30-40 gallons, but i wouldn't risk it below that. The CBS has the large front claws, which most cleaner shrimp know to avoid, plus the enormously long antennae. Cleaner shrimp are also faster, and unless improperly acclimated, should be able to escape the grasp of any CBS they encounter. Overall, as long as you aren't in a nano etc. cleaners shrimp should be fine with CBS.

PS: occasionally, CBS can be fast, and cleaners slow, and since CBS can be territorial, this can cause a problem, especially in small tanks, seeing as shrimp wander out in search of food @ night.

reef rico
10/11/2007, 07:22 PM
So u saying if i add the cleaner to my 130L wid my 2 coral banded shrimps the risk is over 50%?

Reefynewby
10/11/2007, 08:17 PM
im sry if i made it unclear:( , but my intention was to state the the risk is like 10%-. thats just my opinion

reef rico
10/11/2007, 10:46 PM
k thanks.

Phxkeller
10/12/2007, 03:29 PM
My CBS chased the Cleaner around till it was lunch time ..

So I would not add a cleaner unless you just want to give the CBS a pricey gourmet meal.

Lobster is another pricey meal, but I don't think the CBS would want lobster for dinner since I think a lobster would win that meal :) Just my experience with them...

Reefynewby
10/12/2007, 05:18 PM
PHXKeller, did you make sure to consider tank size and shrimp size? cleaners that are reasonably larger than a CBS will scare him off. And even then, cleaners should be faster, and it's doubtful that CBS can get a good cleaner... There must be some other factor. I always quarantine my cleaners after introduction. A good idea is to get a guppy breeder and put him in there. Get one of those clear ones that have slats on the side and two floats. Fill the floats with sand, and turn the breeder upside down. (remove the egg seperator first of course.) Then put the cleaner inside and leave him for a day. He will then be a-ok to wage war w/ your CBS.

reef rico
10/12/2007, 11:52 PM
If i was 2 get 2 cleaner shrimp would there be a even higher chance of survival rate?

ScubaDiver93
10/13/2007, 01:18 AM
I have one cleaner shrimp (second coming sunday) and a cbs and they are completely friendly with each other. They hang in different parts of my 180g and are great together...

reef rico
10/13/2007, 05:36 PM
Can cleaners defend themselves any other way other than running?

650-IS350
10/13/2007, 09:22 PM
Per Ron Shimek... These shrimp TEND to be VERY AGRESSIVE towards other shirmp, may attack and end up killing them.

For my experience I've had them before and will NEVER own these uber aggressive shrimp... only next to mantis shrimps... They may stay in their own side but any small fish especially other shrimp/inverts that go in his territory would be attacked or killed. My previous ones killed peppermints, camels, blood red and skunk cleaner shrimps... they also attacked smaller fish...

I've even traded the bigger CBS's for tiny ones which eventually did the same as the previous ones as they get larger or get more used to the tank.

reef rico
10/14/2007, 01:14 AM
Would it be cruel if i do by the cleaners and put my coral bandits in my sump in the refugium area or live rock area?

ivgonmad
10/14/2007, 01:57 AM
I have one of each on a 90g, they are about equal size, the coral banded lunges for the cleaner but the cleaner always gets away

in a smaller tank I think my cleaner could become lunch or would simply live harassed for the rest of his life trying to get away from the CB

Reefynewby
10/14/2007, 10:55 AM
the CBS are natural predators, and will often attack the cleaners, but many are more passive, and as i said earlier, are usually slower. CBS are safe with me, and if you have a decent size tank (4feet +), then you should be perfectly fine with a CBS and a few cleaners. If you keep your CBS well fed, thru target feeding etc., he should be even less agressive towards cleaner shrimp.

reef rico
10/14/2007, 06:40 PM
But do you reckon CBS are better shrimp overall looks and etc or cleaners from their looks and services?

Reefynewby
10/14/2007, 07:22 PM
cleaners all the way man.!!!

reef rico
10/14/2007, 07:37 PM
lol i will probably sell the CBS to my cuz but do u no if a snow flake eel will hammer the CBS because my cuz will buy it if his snow flake doesnt harm the CBS? His also scared about his longnose hawk fish.

Reefynewby
10/14/2007, 08:17 PM
w/ longnose hawks it's hit or miss, but snowflake eels will definitely prey on shrimp.

just try getting a cleaner. Just acclimate him well. I can go over dripping w/ u

reef rico
10/14/2007, 08:41 PM
i will try this but the thing im scared about it is it's $160.00 AUD
in Australia where i live and im only 15. I dnt got that kind of money and my dad will go ballistic if it dies. Lol so i will probably buy it but if they do fight the CBS gota go into the sump or be sold to my other cuz lol!

Reefynewby
10/14/2007, 10:36 PM
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.......

DON'T DO IT...

order online. go somewhere else. SOMETHING. they're 20 bux, and even w/ shipping cost less. find a lfs cheaper. DONT do it. you'll b ripped off

reef rico
10/15/2007, 12:56 AM
lol ive looked at that option but it'll be pretty hard coz in the first place my dad dnt got a credit card and if i do choose do u no any good web sites that do ship to Australia and are reliable website.

Reefynewby
10/15/2007, 06:01 PM
sry mate, cant help u on this one. I'm not an aussie. You can see if saltwaterfish.com ships to australia. Read their acclimation page, and you have to buy $75 worth to get anything. So if your making a bulk purchase, wanna add some extra stuff to your tank, that's a good way to do it.

NOTE: Most important part of shrimp care - ACCLIMATION!!!

tmz
10/15/2007, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10967344#post10967344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
Per Ron Shimek... These shrimp TEND to be VERY AGRESSIVE towards other shirmp, may attack and end up killing them.

For my experience I've had them before and will NEVER own these uber aggressive shrimp... only next to mantis shrimps... They may stay in their own side but any small fish especially other shrimp/inverts that go in his territory would be attacked or killed. My previous ones killed peppermints, camels, blood red and skunk cleaner shrimps... they also attacked smaller fish...

I've even traded the bigger CBS's for tiny ones which eventually did the same as the previous ones as they get larger or get more used to the tank. That sums it up nicely In my experience Lysmata amboinensis(cleaner shrimp) and all Lysmata make expensive meals for Stenopus hispidus(coral banded shrimp) not to mention attacks on snails and hermits. It does however clean fish. :mixed:

reef rico
10/15/2007, 09:20 PM
Thats not a big problem ill order with my cuz so we dnt have to buy $75.00 worth. He buys what he wants and i buy what i want in one purchase.

reef rico
10/15/2007, 09:22 PM
lol it duz sum it up but some times youve got to make sacrafices for the things you love and that sacrafice are my CBS! LOL!

reef rico
10/16/2007, 01:30 AM
does www.liveaquaria.com ship to Australia?

Reefynewby
10/16/2007, 05:24 PM
i'm also not sure, but some good, semi-reliable sources i know are

saltwaterfish
marinedepotlive
and liveaquaria

good luck with the cleaners!

PS: once they get big, you hafta be careful about feeding, since they get lazy and look for handouts instead of cleaning
more feeding = less cleaning.:rolleye1:

reef rico
10/16/2007, 07:04 PM
thanks for the websites but im sure non of em ship to Australia! I will probably have to buy it lol from a LFS!

Reefynewby
10/16/2007, 08:06 PM
ask them how long they've had them in the tank and what the SG is. important for acclimation.

reef rico
10/16/2007, 09:42 PM
k thanks. If any one knows any other sites which ship to australia it would be very help full.