PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Plumbing, Bulkheads, and GPH (oh my!)

jstevens
10/11/2007, 07:41 AM
Ok I'm not new to the hobby but thought this would be the appropriate forum -- I have been running my 75g reef sumpless for 3 years, and am about to convert.

Current setup: 75g tank w/ HOB Remora Pro and skimmer box, HOB CPR refugium, 2 Maxijet 900's. A separate, isolated 50g frag tank with another HOB Remora Pro.

Desired setup: get rid of the HOB skimmers and refugium. Add a refugium and sump, and plumb the frag tank into all this as well. Id like to plumb the refugium above the tank and have it overflow into the display tank.

Here is a diagram:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74163diagram.GIF

I have a LifeReef overflow on the way (up to 700 gph). Plan to get a Euroreef RS80 skimmer for the sump. Plan to add 2 Koralia 3's to replace the Maxijet 900's in the tank.

Now for the questions!!!

Seems simple -- I want the refugium to overflow into the display tank, the DT to overflow into the frag tank, the frag tank to overflow into the sump, and the return pump returning to the refugium.

I first thought I should try to use as much of the 700gph limit as possible, therefore use a Mag 9.5 return pump, at the head I will be using will be close to that. But do I want that much flow through the refugium? I don't want to have to put a pump in the DT to have a separate (slower gph) loop to the refugium.

I'm thinking I could drop to a Mag 7 or so and limit the return flow. I don't mind using a powerhead or two in the frag tank, and as noted I'm planning to use a couple of Koralia 3's in the DT so this is going to be more DT flow than I have now anyway.

Also -- bulkheads! What sizes to use? I have seen the info circulated from wetworx that lists some bulkhead sizes and their flow at various depths. Obviously I will need to plan this carefully for the refugium and frag tank if I'm trying to get close to 700gph -- less of an issue if using alot slower return flow.

By the way, I currently have mostly softies and LPS, with a few SPS, and plan to add more SPS. I also have a huge sebae anemone (yes, he's healthy and stays in his corner!).

Thanks!

Thinslis
10/11/2007, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't run all your sump return flow through the Fuge. I would only run a percentage of your total flow through the Fuge, like 20% or so.

jstevens
10/11/2007, 08:45 AM
Is there a way to plumb a single return pump (with a T and ball valves?) to return directly to the DT at high flow, and go up to the refugium at a lower flow (which then overflows to the DT)? I know I still couldn't exceed 700gph for the Lifereef, so maybe 500gph returning to the DT and 200gph through the fuge?

I was hoping to avoid using more than 1 return pump, but I think it might work well if I used a Mag 7 returning to the DT, and a Mag 5 returning through the fuge and overflowing to the DT. Should be close to 700gph total considering the head.

ILoveReefer
10/11/2007, 09:19 AM
You can use one return pump. Just like you stated a T and 2 ball valves. Sump to return pump, return pump to T, T to Ball valve (Both sides of T), Ball valve then pipe to DT, the other ball valve to pipe to refug. Adjust flow accordingly.
I've seen this question asked alot on RC. Can i safely use a Ball Valve on my return pump. Yes you can. It will not damage the pump. If the Ball Valve is closed a little the pump actually becomes more efficient, Less power consumption, and less of a workout for the pump.

ILoveReefer
10/11/2007, 09:26 AM
My setup is similar to the one you wish to make. I have 90g and a 40g Both DT's connected to 1 55g sump/refuge. I use a single pump a sequence dart, it's T and ball valved. The setup works well.

jstevens
10/11/2007, 01:24 PM
Seems like I might only need 1 ball valve, after the T going up to the fuge. That would be the only flow I'd want to restrict.

ILoveReefer
10/11/2007, 06:08 PM
I like 2 ball valves. It's handy when I feed my corals I can cut the flow in half temporarely so the food stays put. But you don't have to.