PDA

View Full Version : double ended bulb needed

medic29
10/11/2007, 02:29 PM
Does anyone in the C-U area have an old double-ended bulb I could have. I'm not really concerned if it is past its usefulness. I need to test a ballast that has recently blown a new bulb ($130). Trying to figure out if it was a faulty bulb or the ballast. With this is mind I'd prefer to get a bulb that you don't care if you get back...in case it is the ballast.

If you could let me know ASAP I would appreciate it.

thanks!!!

medic29
10/11/2007, 02:30 PM
Also, can anyone tell me if a double-ended ballast also run a single-ended bulb...not at the same time of course. I was wondering if you could switch from using a double-ended bulb and begin using a single-ended bulb without having to purchase a new ballast.

Horace
10/11/2007, 06:41 PM
A double ended ballast, typically reffered to as a HQI ballast WILL run a SE bulb. However, HQI ballasts run at a higher wattage which will result in the SE bulb being overdriven. That being said, the life of the bulb is greatly reduced (probably to around 5-6 months), but yes, it can be done.

Are you sure you have an HQI ballast though? If it is, it will have an M80 or M81 ballast (150w or 250w). If its electronic, its not really an HQI ballast and it will drive both at normal wattage rating.

medic29
10/11/2007, 06:55 PM
It is a ballast that runs a pennant that contains both a DE bulb and PC actinics. This is a factory made pennant and the ballast came as part of it. If it helps...it is an item which was obtained from TMR. I was thinking it might be an electronic ballast, but both ballasts (for the pc and mh) are contained within the same box. Does this give any clues that might help??

Horace
10/11/2007, 09:05 PM
That should be an HQI ballast then.