PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shipping on frag packs or coral to NY???

breebauer
10/11/2007, 02:40 PM
Hi!

I'm new here and looking for some places that offer cheap shipping on frag packs (or corals in general) to New York, Long Island specifically.

I've read wonderful things about Mr. Coral, and have just placed a small order for 2 pieces that I probably won't get until next Wed, since I ordered too late in the week. I have no problem waiting since for his operation I'm supposedly close enough for (get this): free shipping! :dance:
But I was just wondering if there were any other vendors out there that might be local enough to offer discount shipping. (I'm not going to push my luck looking for free shipping 2xs in one day.)

Thanks again folks!
Bridget

breebauer
10/11/2007, 02:44 PM
I should clarify:
I notice that alot of vendors offer free shipping for orders over $150- $300, but I was looking for at least discounted shipping for orders less than that.
I'm trying to keep a budget here, and failing miserably...

Chibils
10/11/2007, 03:09 PM
I know Dr. Mac's (pacificeastaquaculture.com) is somewhere in the northeast, so you could probably go standard shipping instead of overnight. Other than that... I'm in Georgia, so I have no idea. :O

Roy G. Biv
10/11/2007, 03:19 PM
The best I can think of is that vendors want to ship overnight. This gets expensive. I think that things shipped Fedex within 100 miles will arrive next day anyway at the standard shipping rate.

breebauer
10/11/2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks so much Chibils and Pmolan!
I looked up Dr. Mac's and, according to UPS, it looks like I'm in Zone 1 for them too. I'm going to double-check with them.
Thanks again for the help!
Bridget
(Zone 1 is good :p )

shootist
10/13/2007, 01:16 AM
Look for some of the outfits in Florida. There are a ton of them down there and the shipping should be quite reasonable to your area. Also DHL seems to offer the most reasonable rates.

flamenco-t
10/13/2007, 01:22 AM
Check out air freight cargo as well, they are generally 60-70 bucks and it arrives by however long it takes for a plane to arrive from the shipper.

I bought a 14" catfish for my fresh tank from tennese, I got it shipped to texas for $ 65, arrived in 3 hours and I saved a ton of money and a happy fish.

3 hours of transit time is better than 24 hours.

stan

WI Reef Lover
10/13/2007, 11:55 PM
Saltwaterfish.com offers free shipping on orders of 79 dollars or more but of course they also have a 9.99 handling fee and have recently added a 9.99 fuel charge. they do send nice stuff though. You could try coralsplus.com he has different shipping rates for different areas i believe new york is 25 bucks. Sealifeflorida.com has 27 dollar shipping I think but pretty decent prices, if you're ordering mushrooms and such he offers prio mail for 12 bucks, not bad if you're ordering items that can ship via that method. I shop on a budget as well. I usually keep my coral fund and order when i can order enough to take advantage of free shipping. It does take long to come up with a 100 or 150 dollar order when you're choosing corals.