PDA

View Full Version : Too many worms?

Leafer
10/11/2007, 02:42 PM
Hi all!

My aquarium has been populated for about 9 months now. I notice that the sand and rock are almost teaming with those little white worms. I have tons of the feather-duster types to. Should I do anything to control this population?

I’ve been prepping my quarantine tank for a new addition. My plans are to add a small midas blenny. Given the above I’ve also started to consider a mandarin as an alternative. My top layer of sand is pretty green and I’d like to add a small fish that has a fun personality and does some clean up work.

Does this sound like normal aquarium evolution and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vinnie71975
10/11/2007, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10951692#post10951692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Leafer
Hi all!

My aquarium has been populated for about 9 months now. I notice that the sand and rock are almost teaming with those little white worms. I have tons of the feather-duster types to. Should I do anything to control this population?

I’ve been prepping my quarantine tank for a new addition. My plans are to add a small midas blenny. Given the above I’ve also started to consider a mandarin as an alternative. My top layer of sand is pretty green and I’d like to add a small fish that has a fun personality and does some clean up work.

Does this sound like normal aquarium evolution and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
IMHO the more little worms the better! those lil critters Do Loads for keeping your tank clean and healthy not to mention all the movement from them keeps your sand agitated and helps avoid dead spots. IMHO i wouldn't do anything to try to "Get Rid Of Them" you might invest is a small fish that will eat them but if you have as many as you say i doubt this will get rid of all of them. Personally i never buy a fish or invert that i don't Like anyway, IE Just to take care of a problem, i personally would research fish that will eat them Until i find a fish i really really like and then get Him instead of a "Quick Fix fish" that i might not like later.Heck if i thought they would survive shipping i would offer to pay shipping for a couple cups of your substrate just to have the worms in my tank!

WaterKeeper
10/11/2007, 02:54 PM
For some reason it sounds like your tank has an abudance of "worm food". Really not a problem, as when the "Happy Meals" run out, they will slow up their orgy and their population will decline. It is all a matter of supply and demand.

RickySan
10/11/2007, 03:10 PM
however.... i feel the same as above, but just so you know some wrasses ie a sixline loves worms!! but thats all up to u. i wouldnt put anything in your tank you might not want or like later

Leafer
10/12/2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.