PDA

View Full Version : How to sterilize Q tank?

RobertK
10/11/2007, 07:57 PM
Hi,

A new fish died in my quarantine tank after two weeks. I think it may have had a bacterial infection, as it had unilateral then bilateral exophthalmos ("pop-eye") and trauma was unlikely in the bare tank. There were no visible abnormalities of the fins, scales or gills, and the fish had been doing well, so I am somewhat mystified. I treated with Maracyn-Two for a few days before the fish succumbed. Should I be worried about the next fish catching something from being placed in the same tank? Is there a procedure for sterilizing the tank? Should I throw away the bio-wheel? I have quarantined many fish over the years but this is the first to have gotten sick and died in the Q-tank.

Thanks,
Robert

JetCat USA
10/11/2007, 10:08 PM
bleach.

backej1
10/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Ditto (bleach and let air dry).

JetCat USA
10/11/2007, 10:24 PM
you can add the bleach with the tank running with salt water in it, most will evaporate if it's an open top in a few days, then use a dechlorinate and test it.

eagleONE
10/12/2007, 01:03 AM
would just hot freshwater suffice?

Spracklcat
10/12/2007, 05:31 AM
No, hot water will most definitely not suffice. 20% bleach solution with a contact time of at least 10 minutes, then lots of rinsing, and yes, adding a dechlorinator to the last rinse is a great idea. You'd be surprised at how resilient bacteria are.

:)

RobertK
10/12/2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I will follow your advice. Clean out the tank, soak tank and filter in bleach solution, rinse and rinse and rinse, dechlorinate, hope for better luck next time.

RK