PDA

View Full Version : Trying to select a skimmer....Need Suggestions

Speedway_06
10/12/2007, 09:09 AM
I have been searching for a quality skimmer on a budget and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices but I need some help deciding. The display tank is 90 gallons and I will have a 30 gallon sump. The skimmers I am looking at are the Coralife Superskimmer and the Berlin Turbo Classic. Are either of these going to be good choices and if so which one is better? The skimmer will be in sump. Thanks in advance

sherm71tank
10/12/2007, 09:22 AM
The CSS is a better choice.

jsr
10/12/2007, 09:25 AM
I went with an Octopus NW200 for my 135G and its working great. Also note that I am only doing FOWLR, no reef.

Speedway_06
10/12/2007, 09:31 AM
I will be setting this up to be a mixed reef, but I don't have all the cash in the world so I need a quality skimmer for a decent price. I don't want to skimp on it though if that makes any sense.

Speedway_06
10/12/2007, 09:41 AM
If I went with the CSS would the 125 be sufficient or should I just go for the 220? Are there any other skimmers I should be looking at that are comparable in price but just as good or better?

steri
10/12/2007, 10:05 AM
1st, I think the CSS's are good skimmers. They do need a little tweaking the first couple of weeks, but overall, they are great skimmers.

2nd, between the 125 and 220. For your system, I would get the 220. The 125 is for systems up to 125 gallons. a 90 gallon tank +30 gallon sump would be just barely pushing it's limits. plus, as a general rule of thumb, you want your skimmer to be better then the bare minimum for the tank, in case your bioload ever gets a bit heavy, or you ever have that desire to impulse buy a fish in your tank when your tank is already pretty fully stocked....you know all the stuff us reefers do every now and again ;)

Get the bigger one. That's my opinion. You'll be happy with it. CSS's are a good quality product!

jsr
10/12/2007, 10:07 AM
IMO, always buy a larger skimmer then you currently need. That way, you dont have to buy another one should your stocking level change. My Octopus was about $200 shipped. I have been running it for a little over a month and it works great. I dont have any first hand experiance with the CSS so I dont know how they perform. I see alot of people on the boards that have the Octopus, modded and not, that love them. I dont want to push in you in any direction but you may want to look at the Octopus as a compairison before you buy any skimmer. Go to octopusskimmer.com to see the modles.

loosecannon
10/12/2007, 11:12 AM
Boothe of them stink. jsr is right, go with octopus or asm, at list.

USC-fan
10/12/2007, 11:24 AM
go with Octopus if you can spend $200 AND das if you can afford $300.

The das will be more "plug & play" and also have better performance.