PDA

View Full Version : Polypropylene Sump question

BenjieC
10/12/2007, 10:29 AM
I have the opportunity to get a polypropylene storage tank to use a sump. However, I'd like to put some baffles and seal up some bulkhead holes that were put in it. Can some one point in the right direction as to what glue/solvent and material I could use to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Benjie

barbra
10/12/2007, 12:06 PM
If it is just baffles you want to add and patching holes you can use acrylic and silicon, or the weatherstripping method to make baffles movable.

Silicon does not stick well in applications that will have a great deal of pressure, but it works fine for baffles.

Acrylics
10/12/2007, 12:46 PM
To do it correctly, the baffles have to be hot air welded in place. Look in the yellow pages under "Plastics, fabricating, finishing and decorating" (or something to this effect), ask them if they do hot air welding - they'll know what you're talking about. You can also buy a cheapo hot air welder from companies like Harbor Freight

HTH,
James

barbra
10/12/2007, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10958587#post10958587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acrylics
To do it correctly, the baffles have to be hot air welded in place. Look in the yellow pages under "Plastics, fabricating, finishing and decorating" (or something to this effect), ask them if they do hot air welding - they'll know what you're talking about. You can also buy a cheapo hot air welder from companies like Harbor Freight

HTH,
James

Way overkill, IMO

BenjieC
10/12/2007, 02:08 PM
I think I'll take Jame's advice. I'm trusting him w/ my tank after all. :)

BeanAnimal
10/12/2007, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10958938#post10958938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
Way overkill, IMO

When was the last time you tried to glue something to polypropylene? Using silicone on acrylic is one thing... polypro is a whole different game :)