PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Question

nickts40
10/12/2007, 07:58 PM
I have a 90G display tank, 20G sump, and a 40G refugium. When I started the tank 2 .5 years ago I used to cultivate the refugium every two weeks. It was filled to the top. I have Caleurpa and Chaeto in there. Now I haven't harvested in 3 months. It is still growing, but barely. All nutrients are zero. I add Iodine (Tech -I) every week just to make sure they have food. Does that sound right?

bertoni
10/12/2007, 08:53 PM
That might be fine. I might look around a bit to see whether there's a predator munching on the Chaetomorpha, but if the tank's doing well, I wouldn't worry.

I wouldn't dose iodine, for a number of reasons, but iron sometimes helps with macroalgal growth.

wojo
10/12/2007, 09:28 PM
i agree with bertoni, it could be that your chaeto is not growning because your tank has aged and does not produce so much nitrates anymore thus your chaeto is not growing as fast as it used to.

I have the same happening to me right now, my chaeto does not grow anywhere close to where it used to a year ago.

peace

tmz
10/12/2007, 10:05 PM
I also agree slow macroalgae growth can be a good thing demonstrating a lack of nutrients for it to thrive on. Slow macro growth could be caused by other variables such as predation or limiting elements but it is reasonably likely that cleaner water is slowing it down.