PDA

View Full Version : tank switch help please.

madmax83
10/13/2007, 03:45 PM
My display tank is a 15g tank with 2 inch sand bed about 20 lbs. live rock, and a few fish and couple small corals. I have another tank that i believe is 25g, that i want to make my display tank with a 4 inch sand bed and more rock of course, so i can eventualy build to a beautiful full blown reef. im going to make the 15g my sump/refuge. My questions are, 1) do i have to cycle the water before any move even if i use catalina water from the lfs? 2) what acclimation is going to be needed if any? 3) what are your recomedations on how i should go about this?

Any and all helsp is greatly appreciated. Sump/refuge ideas also welcomed.

bertoni
10/13/2007, 05:10 PM
I have done tank moves, but not upgrades. The process should be similar.

The difference in size isn't that big. Do you intend to add more live rock during the move? That can be iffy. Clean sand can be added in the new tank with no problems.

Cycling the water isn't needed, but it might be useful to get the new tank running with the sand to make sure that it isn't leaking, etc, and any new equipment is working.

When I move tanks, I just keep everything in water as much as possible, including live rock. That limits the odds of something dying and causing problems. I'd mix up the new saltwater and have it ready to go, along with some water for emergency changes, and perhaps have some Amquel on hand.

madmax83
10/13/2007, 05:20 PM
cool thx. yeah im gonna add mor LR, but that will later once its running steady. im also adding clean sand to the tank and plan on seeding it with my sand for the bacteria and things.

bertoni
10/13/2007, 05:46 PM
That sounds like a fine plan to me. Good luck!