PDA

View Full Version : Should i use the bio balls?

cartman5579
10/13/2007, 07:51 PM
I just ordered a Marineland C-160 Canister filter to add my live rock and skimmer in keeping my water clean. The reason i bought it was so that i could run RowaPhos in the bottom filter and then Black Diamond Carbon in the second filter and then the sponges on top with a filter pad on top of the sponges. My question is should i run the bio balls that come with the filter in any of the levels of filtration just to take that extra bit of nitrates out of my system? I'm running this on a 60 cube, but decided that the 30 gallon filter would be enough seeing as that i just wanted something to polish things off.

Matthew

Aquarist007
10/13/2007, 08:07 PM
IMO--no, bioball do not remove nitrates from your system---just the opposite --over time they tend to trap the nitrates as they get gummed up--and become a source for releasing them into your system again.
If you have live rock and a sand bed--you don't need bioballs

Aquarist007
10/13/2007, 08:09 PM
you can also get rid of the sponges and filter pads for the same reason. Your skimmer and live rock will be sufficient.

cartman5579
10/13/2007, 08:55 PM
but the sponges and pad will be my way of "polishing" the water. It's really the only mechanical filtration i have. And i wouldn't mind having something collect all the little particals floating around in my display. Thanks for the reply though.

BangkokMatt
10/13/2007, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't use bio balls. They are nitrate traps. As the capn said, so are the sponges and pads. If you are going to keep them then they need changing or properly cleaned every 2 to 3 days.
It is much better to 'polish' your water with carbon.
As for the particals, these can be removed by using a filter sock on some circulated water (however, it will again need cleaning every couple of days, I just put mine in the washing machine without any detergent)

cartman5579
10/13/2007, 09:07 PM
i will be running carbon for sure on the second layer. And i'm going to run the pad and sponges on the top layer and i will just clean them out every few days. I just am sick of the particles!!!!

I think its going to make a big difference in the appearance of the tank. Can't wait to get it. I got a great deal for it on ebay too. Only cost me 49.00 for a brand new one.

Aquarist007
10/13/2007, 10:48 PM
This is what many reefers run for water clarity
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/IMG_4525.jpg

cartman5579
10/13/2007, 11:02 PM
I was going to do exactly that setup, but seeing as that i don't have a seperate sump....just a HOB refugium i really don't have a way to set this up. With the canister filter all i have to do is run the pluming up and over the back.

But, that is what i planned on until i realized my tank would look terrible with that on the side.

Dingo Dog
10/14/2007, 10:40 AM
I ran a canister for a couple years using only the sponge that I'd remove, rinse and replace about once a month. My LSF said the carbon would remove things that would benefit my reef tank. I finally removed everthing from inside and just used as added water flow. About a year ago I completely removed the entire canister and haven't missed it. My tank is doing great w/o it. I don't miss having to clean it out. Just my opinion. It sounds like you have an alge issue if you're running phosban.

Aquarist007
10/14/2007, 06:34 PM
my 30 gal qt tank--now a reef tank(I got bored :) ) has only the hob on the back with carbon. The tank has 30 lbs live rock and a 4 inch deep sand bed. It gets a small water change once a month.
That's all it needs --the water parameters are stable, the water is crystal clear.

Aquarist007
10/14/2007, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10968728#post10968728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dingo Dog
My LSF said the carbon would remove things that would benefit my reef tank.

That's a point that seems to have alot of anecdotal evidence stated for and against it.

I'm confident that with regular--every two weeks--20 per cent water changes that I am replentishing anything that the carbon might take out of the water that it shouldn't.

If you replace the carbon every two-three weeks it can really help with the clarity of your water.

cartman5579
10/14/2007, 11:39 PM
First let me say that i'm not doing this because i am having issues with algae or water parameters. I run RowaPhos as a preventative, and i want to run carbon just cause it will help with water "clarity", not stability. I do weekly 25 gallon water changes, and have a tank full of about 10 SPS colonies and Zoas that are doing VERY well. Growth, color. All is good. I just want to do every little extra bit i can afford to make things better for my ecosystem. Running this will be in my price range, and will allow more flow, more turnover, and filter my water 3 more ways than before. I can only see good things coming from this.

Original question was should i run the bio balls. I know they are nitrate factories, but i figure my live rock is taking the blunt of the nitrates, and the bio balls would never really become saturated with them since i'm adding them to a 0 ppm atmosphere.

BangkokMatt
10/15/2007, 12:00 AM
The bio balls will become saturated. There no point in having them. Let your LR do the work.