PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang + Hippo Tang = ?

ILoveReefer
10/13/2007, 10:06 PM
I know it's generaly a bad idea to have more than one tang in an aquarium. But I would like too know if anybody had expierences with having a yellow tang and a hippo together. I have a 90g with a yellow tang currently and thinking about maybe adding a hippo. My tank is peaceful with the exception of a maroon clown. So will these tangs get along? Is a 90g tank big enough (lite bioload)? How likely is it the hippo will nip at my corals (mostly LPS)? I know this is probably not a good idea but curious to see what others have too sayabout it. Thanks.

kau_cinta_ku
10/13/2007, 10:18 PM
my yellow and hippo tang get along great. and AFAIK they won't nip at corals.

sanababit
10/13/2007, 10:21 PM
i have them both and sometimes they dont get along, it brought up ich, but treated the tank with garlic and they have been good for about 5 months now, the hippo doesnt nip at my corals btw, i recently upgraded from a 46 gal to a 80 gal and they survived the move (its been only a week tough), so if conclusion you could do both tangs, just make sure you qt your hippo and when hes ready introduce him into your tank. If they start to fight you can always tape a mirror on glass so the yellow fights mith himself, and leaves the hippo along, good luck

sana

ILoveReefer
10/13/2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I know a QT for a tang is a must. And my yellow tang who I've had for about 2yrs has never showed any aggression.

Mavrk
10/13/2007, 10:34 PM
I would not put two tangs in a 90.

ILoveReefer
10/13/2007, 10:41 PM
Yea I know it's probably not a good idea. It's only 90g. Not big enough as a general rule and more then 1 tang in a tank is asking for trouble. Just wondering other peoples expierences with this. I'm kind of being pressured by my girlfriend to get a Hippo Tang.

MegsB
10/13/2007, 11:41 PM
we have 2 yt's and a hippo in a 90 (bought used setup with fish) they all get alone great (and 4 clowns to) most peacful tank.

tanker
10/13/2007, 11:56 PM
A 90 gal is just a tall 75gal. Tangs need width for swimming space. Some people will do what ever they think is right no matter what others say. It is a free world.

IMO you would need at least a 100 gal (my 100gal is 60 inch wide) for a hippo. A 72 inch tank is even better. I had a yellow and a hippo in my 100 together for almost 7years. They never bothered each other. I started with 3 hippos, one died very early and I had to give the other away because the hippos fought each other. :(

LukFox
10/14/2007, 12:54 AM
Your tank is too small for a hippo. They really need their space. I'd stick with your yellow as the only tang in that tank size.

stuccodude
10/14/2007, 01:15 AM
another cure for ich with garlic, whenever i mention this people in this site more less say impossible but it worked for me and i will stick to it till the ich comes back, its PROVIN that garlic pills make mosquitos stay off your skin so why cant garlic make ich bugs not want to host a fish, sorry for changing the subject just @#@#sses me off when people say the only way to cure ich is to qt all fish for 2 months with hypo, and by the way i have a powder blue, purple, yellow and a hippo tang in a 135 and lls good, hippo and yellow should be fine

rcerulli
10/14/2007, 10:01 AM
i wouldnt do it, i have a sohal and a yellow in a 72, and the sohal is going ASAP. They just dont get along, they each have a section of the tank they are claming as there own and when one goes in the other tangs "hiding" spot tension rises considerably. Also note that a big reason in my case is tank size.

harryk
10/14/2007, 10:28 AM
you can keep more then 1 tang in a tank but it has to be large enought to disperse any aggression if it develops. 100g or larger IMO. Also if you have conspecifics together they they will definately have aggression issues

AquaReeferMan
10/14/2007, 01:25 PM
Even if the fish get along your tank is too small for them. Dont go by gallons with Tangs, go by the length of the tank. A 4 foot tank is way to small for a med to large sized Hippo Tang.

These fish grow pretty fast. In 2 years mine has went from 1' to 6.5". Its too small for my 125g already.

If your girlfriend really wants a Hippo tang explain to her why you and the fish need a bigger tank. Dont jeperdise a fishes lifespan and well-being because she has to have one.

kydsexy
10/14/2007, 01:35 PM
dont do it! listen to aquareeferman!

ILoveReefer
10/14/2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice