PDA

View Full Version : mantis food?

nvmy22s
10/13/2007, 10:24 PM
is it ok to feed fresh water snails? and would it be ok to feed wild cough snails?

dismalorb
10/14/2007, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't personally do it or recommend it. However, the salinity should kill any parasites, flukes, or other nasty stuff. I used to feed my brackish-kept Green Spotted Puffers ramshorns and apple snails with no problem.

Since Stomatopods come from the ocean though, I'd keep with marine snails if I were you.

justinl
10/14/2007, 12:36 PM
Id imagine that it would be okay once in a while. but i would not make it my staple food for the reasons listed above. Id also imagine there would be nutritional differences between fresh and saltwater inverts.

nvmy22s
10/14/2007, 01:00 PM
ok thanks. was just wondering cause i have a steady free supply of them.

dismalorb
10/14/2007, 06:10 PM
Perhaps you could trade them to your Local Fish Shop for credit or some marine snails. Or, find a puffer keeper to sell them to once in a while. ;)

Angel7989
10/15/2007, 01:38 PM
you shouldn't feed you mantis shrimp anything that came from a freshwater tank because food from a freshwater aquarium has no nutritional value whatsoever. its like eating a double cheeseburger (so to say)

DanInSD
10/15/2007, 04:33 PM
Actually, not true. Some freshwater foods are quite nutritious, even for marine animals. The most obvious example is mysis shrimp. The "mini-mysis" are saltwater. The "big" mysis -- which are the most common -- are fresh water.

In general, however, it's a good rule to follow. There are so many good frozen meaty marine foods out there that there's no excuse to serve freshwater stuff to mantis.

Dan

abrahamcho
10/15/2007, 05:26 PM
So it is not a good idea to feed mantis shrimp guppies?

justinl
10/15/2007, 10:08 PM
bad. see below.

Dan has a good point, freshwater invertebrates aren't nearly as bad for marine organisms as are the FW fish. That said, I personally still feel nervous about FW feed, even mysis, because there is no way that they have the same composition as a true marine animal. But the differences might simply be negligible, i dont actually know.