PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp

Dan9
10/14/2007, 11:54 AM
I am planning on getting a yasha haze goby and a pistol shrimp pair. My question is, what is a cool-looking pistol shrimp I could get to pair with the goby? I have heard that they can be a risk with other inverts but don't know much about them at all. I tried to do some research but couldn't find very much on them. Are some types safer than others? Also, is it better to introduce the two together or seperately? Which one first if seperate? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

nacre
10/15/2007, 09:34 AM
I dunno what all the types are, but I have a lovely blue-green one that enjoys his 10-gal home very much. He was introduced after a clownfish, and they seem to get along just fine.

Mine will take out snails and hermits when he's ready, so that is the only caution that I would offer. Hope that helps. :)

weaselslucks
10/16/2007, 11:29 AM
i have a randals and they are red white and yellow. Her never bothers anyone, though he snapped at a snail that fell into his burrow

Dan9
10/16/2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks. Does the randalls kill snails and inverts or only if it falls i their burrow? I saw one and I think hat is the one I am going to try to get. Thanks and any more advice is appreciated.

weaselslucks
10/16/2007, 04:35 PM
Dan9 he has never killed anything he got upset with the snail untill it moved but i have brittle stars and snails and cleaner shrimp and nothing is bothered
her is a link
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/randalls-pistol-shrimp---alpheus-randalli-inverts--shrimp.html
i want the goby to go with him

chrisstie
10/16/2007, 09:54 PM
I think the Randalls and the tigers tend to stay smaller and be more... forgiving.. there's a certain species that I really want to say hails from the caribbean - looks very much like a bullseye without the eye.. Blue legs, caramel colored body with a tan stripe down the back- I have one that killed some sexy shrimp, snails etc and he's in his own tank and still fed a lot :(

I have his younger brother in another tank living with a pair of watchman gobies and they are managing to act more as a family and he hasn't hurt anything else in the tank. Could be a matter of chance or even who or what you pair them up with.

If you can get your LFs to get them as a pair its easier to pair them up, but if they come separate see if the LFS can try to pair them in house- it just makes for better chances going into your tank. There have been very few I have seen that dont but it has been known to happen.

The_Wonderboy
10/17/2007, 06:43 AM
I'm in belief that the stonogobiops yasha prefers to pair with alpheus randalli over any other pistol shrimp - In my experience, the ones I have had only paired with these.

weaselslucks
10/17/2007, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10989616#post10989616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The_Wonderboy
I'm in belief that the stonogobiops yasha prefers to pair with alpheus randalli over any other pistol shrimp - In my experience, the ones I have had only paired with these.

i have the shrimp now all i need is a goby. how are the gobies agression to eachother. could you have two in a 75? would you need another shrimp

The_Wonderboy
10/18/2007, 05:51 AM
I put 5 randalli shrimps and five yellow rose gobies together in a 75 G, and all the gobies teamed up with only one of the shrimp:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3763/1002046dg2.jpg

I'd imagine that yashas would act near the same....

gumby007
10/20/2007, 07:55 PM
I have read that the Stonogobiops nematodes (High Fin Red Banded Goby) are commonly found with the Alpheus randalli (Randall's Pistol Shrimp) I have this pistol shrimp in my tank and he has never aggressed towards any of my livestock. I think if something were to intrude on him, he would probably try and snap their lives away, but who knows.

chrisstie
10/21/2007, 07:04 AM
WOw The_Wonderboy that is a great shot. Was there a reason you decided on an odd numbered pair? Possibly to make pairs? Do they seem to live like a harem now?

jpndave
10/22/2007, 09:05 AM
What is the minimum sand be depth for a pistol shrimp (Randalii in particular)?

weaselslucks
10/22/2007, 01:20 PM
I have about 2 inches and he seems happy

Mofo84
10/22/2007, 09:06 PM
I have been wanting to get a pistol shrimp for my little friend here
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5174/dsc09985ve4.jpg
but I am also scared for my snails and cleaner shrimp

weaselslucks
10/22/2007, 10:01 PM
I just got a lepoard wrass and the little guy scared the hell outa me when he tried to take refuge in my pistol shrimps hole

gumby007
10/26/2007, 09:07 AM
From what I understand, the Randalli shrimp remains fairly small, and compared to my cleaner shrimp, he wouldn't even attempt to bug him. So far, no losses of shrimp or snails/hermits with my pistol shrimp.

natan
10/26/2007, 02:49 PM
I have an Alpheus ochrostriatusfor a while now. It came in paired with a goby wich, sadly jumped out of the tank. As to the shrimp, i have never seen a more peaceful invert. Inside its borow (constructed against the glass) it has a pir of tiny shrimps living their perminently, it allows the 2 tiger shrimp to go in and still some food from him, and porcelan crabs are alowed in any time. Its a zoo out their! When i broght it home, i got snapped at twice. Felt next to nothing. The beasty just doesnt have a pinch that otheres of the genus have. It is essentially harmless.