PDA

View Full Version : magnesium, zeomag

achillesheel
10/14/2007, 01:10 PM
how many are using zeomag in their calcium reactor. im also wondering which test kit is the most reliable.

kozmo02
10/14/2007, 03:20 PM
i've been trying to find out more info about this product as well. as for test kits i use the salifert mg test.

plyle02
10/14/2007, 04:04 PM
I just started using it. As for test kit, I use the Seachem Reef Status. My last test was 1250......

LobsterOfJustice
10/14/2007, 04:09 PM
I have been using it for about a month now, seems to help out a lot. So far I am happy with it.

achillesheel
10/14/2007, 05:03 PM
with zeomag, do you use it to raise the mg or just sustain it? how much do you put in the reactor?

basically, im looking for as much info on this subject as possible

plyle02
10/14/2007, 05:28 PM
Just tested, and from what I can gather it is more to maintain current levels than increasing. I suppose it depends on the amount of media you add. I put in about 15% vs. CA reactor media, and tested at the same level that I was at the day I put the media in, which was on Friday. Directions indicate to use 10-20% of your CA reactor media. I still plan on upping my Mag, about 100 points value, then hopefully the media will sustain.... Just my thoughts......

jamesdawson
10/14/2007, 06:51 PM
I have used it for a couple of years and it does the job. You do have to proportion it (the amount) to your demand which means some trial and error. I also think the lower you run you reactor PH the more it will dissolve and supply MG.

James

jojokeo
10/15/2007, 11:14 PM
Need suggestions and help on what's the best Ca rector media to use? I've been using the A.R.M. but I think maybe there's something better?

j.prostrata
10/16/2007, 08:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10980735#post10980735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jojokeo
Need suggestions and help on what's the best Ca rector media to use? I've been using the A.R.M. but I think maybe there's something better?

If it aint broke don't fix it.. I have used ARM for 5-6 yrs without problems. I have also used zeomag for 3+ yrs right when it hit the shelves. It maintians the Mg level in your tank if you use enough. It has helped me hold 1280-1350 over the yrs.

aiko670
10/16/2007, 07:16 PM
I use dolomite that some fellow reefers got from a quarry locally(filled the back of his pickup truck for $60.00). It maintains my MG right at 1350. I've tested with Sailfert and Elos.

I run my reactor at about 6.25 and use GenX media.

Hope that helps.

jojokeo
10/18/2007, 09:47 PM
I've used the ARM stuff and can go no lower than about 6.8 pH w/out it going to mush. I think that it needs replacing sooner as well, and going w/ something else as well as bigger media sizes w/ work out better and last longer between changes? I'm just getting close to the point to where I'm going to need to service the CA reactor soon and I'm trying to make a more informed decision about this stuff.
ps - how does one know how much zeomag to use as a starting point? (If I choose to try it)

aurora
10/19/2007, 12:18 AM
Zeomag costs about $15 a lb. You can get a ?20lb bag of Mag Flake at Home Depot for the same price and it does the same thing. I see that you have a 300g tank and so do I. You may need a lot of Zeomag depending on what salt you use. It takes about a pint of Mg Chloride salt to increase my tank Mg by 100. If you are leary about using Mag Flake, you can try Nigari. It's a food grade Mg Chloride reconstituted from NSW use in Japanese cooking to make high end tofu. I got 40lb for about $50 shipped 2 years back and still using it. When my supply run out, I'll probably switch to Mag Flakes.

LobsterOfJustice
10/19/2007, 09:11 AM
Aurora, what you say is right, but the point of the zeomag is that it is in your reactor and you dont have to dose it, unlike the max flake solution. You can also argue that Calcium Chloride and Baking soda do the same thing as (and are cheaper than) the reactor. But the whole point is that I want to throw some rocks in the reactor and then forget about it for a year.

I do however use the Magflake for raising my water change water up a few hundred ppm before using it.

SunnyX
10/19/2007, 10:51 AM
I have used it for about a year now and so far so good. :D

Keeps everything nice and level.

chris4869
10/20/2007, 01:38 PM
Do you guys mix the ZeoMag in with the CA media, or just dump it on top? I puchased some, but I haven't add it to my CA reactor yet. I'm planning on mixing the two media together (10-20%).

achillesheel
10/20/2007, 02:30 PM
thanx for all the replies. has anybody used it that doesnt like it. these responces seem to all be pretty positive.

chris- i believe you're supposed to put it on top of the ca rx media.