PDA

View Full Version : Cuttlefish at Liveaquaria.com

evilblake
10/23/2002, 01:20 PM
Has anyone out there ordered the cuttlefish off of the liveaquaria.com web store? If so, what species of cuttlefish did you get? The picture on their site looks like a Flamboyant Cuttlefish, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just used that picture because it's pretty and assumed that all cuttlefish are the same.

Also, what condition was it in when it arrived? How big is it? Any problems?

For those of you who want to know what I'm talking about:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=533

So far as I know there are only two web stores that sell cuttlefish, Liveaquara.com and anchofish.com. Though, anchofish lists the animal as a "squid/cattlefish"... Anyone know of another source? My local fish stores won't order one for me.

Cheers,
Blake

cephalopoder
10/23/2002, 04:09 PM
The only cuttlefish being imported it seemes is Sepia bandensis. So far no one has had much luck keeping these guys for more than a week including myself. The other down fall is they are nocturnal and only eat live food. What liveaquaria has a picture of is Metasepia pfefferi. I seriously doubt they can get it. The best bet is though Richard Stride of England for Sepia.O. It is seasonal and requires, permits and several hundred dollars. A nice venture for some eager person;) Search the back cuttlefish threads. Lots of info.

evilblake
10/23/2002, 04:47 PM
Ah, unfortunate. It's rather a shame that such a fasinating family of animals are not native to North America. I do not forsee having the money to import my own from Europe any time in the near future, though it could be a very profitable venture if one could aquaculture them. Of course, this would have to be at some point after a reliable method of keeping them alive in home aquariums was developed.

Not that I'm looking to make money off the critters, just an idea. I want one because I think they are amazing animals and I'd like to get to know one personaly. The cuttlefish are pretty much the reason I go to the New England Aquarium.

There are some species of sepialoids native to Hawaii, very cute ones from the pictures I've seen. Any forseable reason having one of these guys sent stateside would require any more red tape than a chunk of coral? It wouldn't be crossing international borders, after all.

Thanks for the info,
Blake

wombat2
10/31/2002, 01:31 PM
I have a job at the university here in Davis and supposedly someone can get cuttlefish from the NRCC for very cheap, but it's only for researchers. Damn the law!!

wakesetter
11/18/2002, 10:31 PM
my LFS has had one for 2 months. He is about 3 inches and cruises around his 20 gallon tank eating ghost shrimp. THey want $60 for him. If I had room I would set up a tank just for this guy he is so cool.