PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Pump Modification

quikenuff
10/14/2007, 03:08 PM
Hello All,
I’ve been reading the RC forums for some time now. It wasn’t till I went to a local fish shop here in Tampa FL looking for a new return pump that I thought I had something worth posting. I searched to forums for a similar post and didn’t find one so here goes.

The situation: I have a 155 AGA Bow front tank that I recently switched from FOLR to a reef tank. My current pump a velocity T4 (A.K.A Poseidon PS4 and possibly some other names) is extremely quiet but adds about 2-3 degrees of water temperature to the over al system. After the switch from PC lighting to MH my water temperature was pushing 82 F at the end of my lighting cycle.

I was trying to find a pump as silent as the velocity w/o adding the heat. John at “Fish and other Ichthy stuff” suggested running 2 velocity pumps to get the flow I needed for a reef tank until I explained to him my excess heat situation. He suggested added a cooling fan to the pump before spending the money on a new pump. Taking his advice I decided to post my modification to see what other thought, or to see if there could be a better way to modify the pump.

Materials used
• Velocity T4 external pump
• OEM Intel P4 CPU cooling fan and heat sink
• 80mm AC fan
• 4 nuts and bolts from home depot

The Modification:
First I removed the stock fan from the heat sink and installed the 80mm AC fan. I used a little loctite on the treads to make sure they don’t vibrate loose.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1459781.JPG
Then I removed the rear housing of the pump. I drilled a small hole in the housing to feed the fan wiring in. Inside there were screws holding the positive and the neutral wires on the power cord witch I used to supply power to the AC fan.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145978SNC10074.JPG
After securing the positive and neutral wires with the screws I reattached the rear housing. I used zip ties to mount the fan to the pump and a little thermal heat sink compound on the mounting surface on the heat sink. I also used a little silicone to make the hole I drilled water tight. Here is the finished product.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/145978SNC10075.JPG

Anyone else try something similar, any suggestions? I will post overall temperature changes if any, in a couple of days.
Thanks,
Quik

prugs
10/14/2007, 03:26 PM
The velocity/poseidon pumps are designed as water cooled pumps. You may have some benificial cooling with your mod. But you would gain a lot more cooling effect by having the fan blow on the tanks water than the motor housing.

quikenuff
10/14/2007, 03:35 PM
Agreed Tom, I have four 3" or 80mm fans blowing across the top of the water now. I have about 2 - 2 1/2 gallons of evaporation a day. I could add more fans to the canopy but I thought I would try this first. The intent of the mod is to counteract the heat the pump adds to the tank in the most direct way possible. I know most would suggest getting a chiller at this point but that's not an option right now.

quikenuff
10/15/2007, 09:31 AM
It doesn't look like I generated much discussion with this topic. Possibly with good reason, the modification was a bust. No noticeable change in system temperature after installing the mod.

RWillieK
10/15/2007, 09:50 AM
I did something similar, and noticed a nice difference.

I used three smaller heat sinks, getting more surface area than your larger one.

I dropped the temp of the brass screw on the top of the pump (I used that as a reference) by 8 plus degrees.

I'm running three 26mm fans on a cell phone charger/convertor.

I also put a quirt of thermo transfer paste under the heat sinks.

Robbie

quikenuff
10/15/2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback RWillieK. The increase in surface area does make sense. Did you get any noticeable temperature drop in the system itself or just from the pump?

RWillieK
10/15/2007, 04:58 PM
I didn't monitor the system long enough to see, I was more concerned with have one control - the brass screw was mine.

Robbie