PDA

View Full Version : sand issues HELP!!!

trd47
10/14/2007, 10:30 PM
here's the deal my tank has been up since august 30 my rocks has been cured for over a year. my sand is real fine and white. lately I've been seeing my sand go from white to brown, I usually try not to stir it up but lately its been bothering me. yesterday I stirred my sand up and returned to its white color. today when I go and check it its brown with some white patches (areas which are unaffected). I also notice some brown caramel speckles on my tank on the glass which I scraped off.

then I decided again to go stir it up and notice there are some sand which are like black, greyish in color. this sand is found under my live rocks, what gives? although the live rocks that are not burried deeply have perfectly white sand under them.

can any offer some insight to this?
browning of sand and some black sand under live rocks which are burried under the sand.

nitrites-0
nitrates-0
phosphates-0
ammonia-0

btw im using my wavy sea which is connected to my mag7 and water has to travel about 4feet as my return and powerhead. its doing fine because the wavy sea is able to disturb the bottom of the sand. I haven't been feeding much lately to try and resolve this problem but nothing!

please help!

cutegecko3
10/14/2007, 11:08 PM
rocks turning gray and stinking means hydrogen sulfide.a cosequense of poor or misdirected flow and fear of stirring the sand bed.the brown stuff is likely diatoms.

cd77
10/14/2007, 11:25 PM
A picture may help :)

From your description, it sounds like diatoms to me too. Normal with young tanks. Don't overfeed, provide good nutrient export (wet skim, macroalgae). Diatoms require silicates (which you may want to test for), nitrates and light. If you're not using good RO/DI water you may be inviting the problem.

If you're running a DSB, you really don't want to disturb the sand bed too much - http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm

trd47
10/14/2007, 11:28 PM
actually I didn't pull the rock out and the rock didn't turn grey.

so to conquer this problem I should stir the sand or get a sand sifter?

as for the diatoms how would u suggest I deal with it? I've got two 1 inch percs, 1 half inch domino, a blue hippo about 2 inches and a shoulder tan about 3 inches all in a breeder tank. I also have a tyree bonsai coral, zoas, gsp, xenas, 2 cleaner shrimps, 3 or so snails, and 2 cucumbers.

Mavrk
10/14/2007, 11:33 PM
what kind of snails? ceriths, nerites, or trochus will devour the stuff. ceriths would be my choice since it is on the sand.

cd77
10/14/2007, 11:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10973175#post10973175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trd47
so to conquer this problem I should stir the sand or get a sand sifter? No!

Like anything else, it's best to isolate the cause of the problem and deal with it naturally. Since the tank is only 1.5 months old, I'd give it some time. Watch your nitrates and silicates, and make sure you're not overfeeding.

It certainly won't hurt to add snails. I like Ceriths.

How deep is your sand bed? Adequate flow is something you should also have. How big is your tank, how much flow do you have in it?

trd47
10/14/2007, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10973208#post10973208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cd77
No!

Like anything else, it's best to isolate the cause of the problem and deal with it naturally. Since the tank is only 1.5 months old, I'd give it some time. Watch your nitrates and silicates, and make sure you're not overfeeding.

It certainly won't hurt to add snails. I like Ceriths.

How deep is your sand bed? Adequate flow is something you should also have. How big is your tank, how much flow do you have in it?

How would you suggest I deal with this problem naturally? Ok i'll add some snails.

my sand bed was originally 2 inches all around now the sand bed next to the glass is less than an inch where as the center of the tank is probably around 3 inches or less. My tank is a 40 breeder (36lx18wx16h) and I have a wavysea right in the center of the tank and I'm using my mag7 to supply the flow/current to keep everything circulating.

As for hte pictures I have it in my cam but didn't get a chance to up load it. As for my water supply i'm using ro without the di part. I just recently received my di resin and didn't want to really waste water, but from the sound of things its causing me all these problems.

cd77
10/15/2007, 12:00 AM
Could be. I've got diatoms (two month old tank) and my RO/DI is showing zero TDS. Diatoms (assuming that is what you have) aren't uncommon with new tanks. Just give it some time. Take care with feeding, skim wet, and take care of whatever macroalgae you're using..

trd47
10/15/2007, 12:09 AM
when you say skim wet, I don't want that thick fluid and get it watery?

cd77
10/15/2007, 12:28 AM
The wet skimming came from advice of a couple others here on RC when I first asked about diatoms. But, yep, maybe get it to where it's filling up between 2/3 to full cup daily. Your skimmer instructions may even tell you how to wet skim (where the microbubble level should be)

If you don't have one already, you can get a TDS meter cheap from eBay to let you know the quality of water your RO/DI unit is producing.

Do a search on feeding as well -- I'm always learning new ways that people feed by both keeping it convenient and keeping the tank clean.

jamiep
10/15/2007, 02:28 AM
How long are your lights on a day? I wouild give it time yet, your tank is alot younger than mine and I only recently got rid of diatoms.

trd47
10/15/2007, 03:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10973603#post10973603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamiep
How long are your lights on a day? I wouild give it time yet, your tank is alot younger than mine and I only recently got rid of diatoms.

my lights are on about 8 hours a day.

stingythingy45
10/15/2007, 07:18 AM
My guess........Diatoms.
And get ready,soon they'll be everywhere.
But fear not,they disappear as quickly as they appear.
Give it about a week or so and they'll be all but gone.
Then the HA and cyano will begin.lol
Good luck.....

jamiep
10/15/2007, 08:45 AM
Just let it work it's course. Maybe buy a small clean up crew, but not alot as they'll starve once the diatoms die. Maybe a couple of snails and a hermit, but thats it. There isn't much ned to worry though

Richieboy
10/16/2007, 03:42 AM
I think someone that you know already told you that this is normal, because your setup is new...but you don't believe him...hmm how come? anyway, get that di resin in, and use some good ro/di water for topoffs, and you are already using rowphos in a phosban reactor, so that's good. I think you are doing everything you can to help, diatoms is a normal part of a new tank, I know someone named Jervin, who is experiencing the samething, and I know someone who went through it...don't worry...Oh, I think you have too much fish in your 40B...a blue hippo and an orange shoulder...watch out, they grow big....watch out for the Tang Police....haha :D

rickosteen
10/16/2007, 03:56 PM
im having a problem with the brown diatoms on my sand too my 55 gallon has been up about a month and a half have two fish small clowns small clean up crew the only thing is i had it before then it went away when i put the clean up crew in now its back what would you suggest i do sorry for asking on someones post but sounds like were going through the same thing i have tested and it says perfect need advice

foodstamp
10/16/2007, 04:14 PM
if its on the tank walls I would think it Algee I'd go for the snails
also what kinda water do u use? Poor water will do a algee brakeout. Check out Garf's web page lots good info I would not buy from him but good info