PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do Experienced Reefers Test the Water

taillonjohn
10/15/2007, 09:50 AM
How often do experienced reefers test their tanks? Tks for the comments

kydsexy
10/15/2007, 09:59 AM
weekly at the very least. schedule a day of the week and stay consistent with that day.

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 10:10 AM
that question assumes that you have a handle on your tanks chemistry and that you have achieved a good measure of consistency in your water parameters.
I test the following way because of knowing my tanks demands:

calcium: once a week--but I dose a set amount every other day
magnesium: once a week--and dose then if needed

alkalinity: once a week and dose once a week---again my alk seems to fall at a consistent rate

pH----I have a pinpoint so it is all the time--if I have to raise it I don't use buffers---rather Kent super dkH which raises the alk also so I would test the alk a day after.

phospates/nitrates---seldom---but I run phosban reactors, and a 30 gal fug, live rock in the tank and sump, and deep sand bed--so I have found it not necessary.
also I had a good size fish die and could not get at it to remove it---never had a recorded ammonia or nitrate reading so I took that as a test of my filtration system.

bobt2
10/15/2007, 10:12 AM
after 2 yrs+ i,m down to every 3 weeks

kevin2000
10/15/2007, 10:19 AM
Depends on the tank. I have lightly stocked mature tanks that have never shown any trace of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate since their cycle - in those tanks I only test for calc/alk/salinity during the water change process and subsequent additions of any supplements. I used to keep PH meters on the tanks full time but over the yrs I have even stopped doing that .. I know that in the winter my PH will drop a bit because of the higher CO2 level in the house (wood stove/furnace and keeping the house closed up) .. I drip a bit more Kalkwasser to compensate.

In general .. if your inexperienced, have a newer tank or a heavily stocked tank then frequent testing has no downside and I agree with the once a week comment previously made.

barbra
10/15/2007, 10:20 AM
I check salinity weekly. Calc, alk, and pH maybe once every 2 months. I last checked nitrates, phosphate in June.

As a rule I only check most parameters if I suspect something is wrong.

trueperc
10/15/2007, 10:26 AM
Myself I was in the habit of almost never checking unless something didn't seem right, but I am changing to do everything weekly. From my experience I have learned if you test at least weekly you will always know whats going on and be able to detect something before problems. Sometimes waiting until something looks wrong maybe a lot more work and money to fix or to late.

kydsexy
10/15/2007, 10:26 AM
good pts everybody! one addt'l thing is with the die off, in an immature tank, if something dies and you can't reach it you may have a nitrogen spike, test more frequent if you're nervous of some situation like that. my coral banded just molted and i couldn't reach it (lucky me) but my damsels devoured it after a day or so

skippy2
10/15/2007, 10:28 AM
Molt shouldn't hurt anything in the tank at all.

MinnFish
10/15/2007, 10:43 AM
Every 3 days for me. Temp. and PH everyday. Might be abit overboard, but in my profession. I'm trained to check equipment everyday. I stay on top of things. Remember, things in this hobby happen fast and furious. Just my take on things.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/15/2007, 10:44 AM
Sometimes less than they should! ;)

I've had tanks that went more than a year with nothing but salinity checks at water changes. These were stable tanks with non-demanding livestock.

IMHO, an "experienced" reefer should realize that his eyes and ears are his best test kits, and know how to interpret the information they are giving him/her. Once a tank has started up and settled into a stable pattern (a process that can take more time than you might think), there really isn't any need to do a full battery of routine tests. However, it's a great idea for people newer to the hobby who might either think they have a stable tank (when they don't), or who aren't quite well enough tuned in to the signs in their tank to notice when something is out of whack.

Mavrk
10/15/2007, 11:28 AM
It depends on the age of the tank and if anything new has been added. Like der_wille said, once the tank is stable you know the dosing schedule, etc. If you add livestock, this can change.

What I have found is that there are certain tests that are done at the beginning of a tank that are done less later. For instance, in an established tank ammonia and nitrite are rarely checked unless there are physical signs that they need to be.

arts007
10/15/2007, 11:30 AM
I usually test about every 2 weeks.. testing for Ca, ALK, Mg, Sr, pH is on a monitor, I test for Nitrate and Phosphate every month as they are always undetectable. Once you know the consumption of the tank its then easier to dose and keep the levels up and I dose in small quantities every day to keep it in a fairly stable state. Or I may test a week after adding a new addition to see if the rate has changed

phenom5
10/15/2007, 11:32 AM
something that has been pointed out already, but experienced reefers with established tanks probably test less often then someone that is just setting up a tank.

i have a NH4, NO2, & NO3 test on hand. and as der_wille_zur_macht pointed out, i use my eyes. if something doesn't look right, i'll start with NO3 and work backwards from there to try and figure out the problem.

beyond that i test SG weekly when i do water changes. pH weekly. right now i'm trying to get my Ca & Alk back in line, so i'm testing daily.

something else worth noting. build a spreadsheet to track your test results. this allows you to get a good feel of how your tank parameter change over time. this really helps in getting a good feel for your tank.

arts007
10/15/2007, 11:39 AM
Thats a good point about tracking your testing, I use reef con 2000, its a free program that you can enter your data and it will create a line graph of the parameters. I used to use an excel sheet and create a graph chart but found this was much easier to use

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975357#post10975357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
Sometimes less than they should! ;)

I've had tanks that went more than a year with nothing but salinity checks at water changes. These were stable tanks with non-demanding livestock.

IMHO, an "experienced" reefer should realize that his eyes and ears are his best test kits, and know how to interpret the information they are giving him/her. Once a tank has started up and settled into a stable pattern (a process that can take more time than you might think), there really isn't any need to do a full battery of routine tests. However, it's a great idea for people newer to the hobby who might either think they have a stable tank (when they don't), or who aren't quite well enough tuned in to the signs in their tank to notice when something is out of whack.

this is so true and is basic science--observation skills. Experienced successfull reefers possess a high degree of basic scientific skills.
An experienced reefers know the value of measuring ---asking questions here--and then finally dosing.

papagimp
10/15/2007, 11:52 AM
personally, I test the following parameters (ph, phopshate, nitrite, ammonia) once a week. ca, nitrate, and Alk will get tested at least two more times throughout the week (not stable in the new tank yet) and test for Magnesium every month or so. I keep an eye on salinity and temp daily. I"m one of those, gotta have my hands in the tank every day kinda of people so I probalby test for some of my parameters alot more than neccessary, but I've had bad experiences from getting to lax in my testing shcedual. Won't let that one happen again. ($400 in dead sps will get ya testing regularly for sure!)

PhishGirl
10/15/2007, 01:32 PM
I test everything multiple times each week. I'm so new to this though, that I'm paranoid something is going to go wrong. Am I testing too much?

mskohl
10/15/2007, 01:40 PM
Once my tank was established, I relaxed (almost never) my testing the ammonia and nitrite.

I test alk and ca a couple of times a week as I am dosing and still trying to reach consistancy.

Phosphates, nitrates, sg, etc. get tested every couple of weeks.

USC-fan
10/15/2007, 02:40 PM
i justed signed up for monthly testing from AWT. I haven't done test since i set my tank up in June. I'm just too lazy to take the time so this service is great for me. Its cost $22.50 a month, not too bad.

I do also have a ph probe, ORP probe and temp controller.

InLimbo87
10/15/2007, 02:41 PM
I test mine about every two weeks, unless it seems as though something's awry. Then I test it for my own sanity :p

marduc
10/15/2007, 03:06 PM
I have a ph meter, so that is continuous, salinity gets checked once a week to match for water changes, although it always reads the same, the refractometer is quick and easy, and used to mix fresh salt water.

Calcium/Alk, usually monthly just to make sure things are in line, magnesium maybe every 3 months.

ammonia, nitrite.. never unless qt tank.

nitrate, phosphate.. if something seems out of whack, although they infallibly come back undetectable.

Paul B
10/15/2007, 04:24 PM
Almost never.

aquarius77
10/15/2007, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975193#post10975193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra

As a rule I only check most parameters if I suspect something is wrong.

I was dong this for some time and i ran into trouble. I decided to run some tests on a whim, nothing even looked bad. Found my alk seriously low @ 6 dkh in my sps tank.... Seems the kalk was not keeping up its end of the bargin anymore. I have been fighting it for 2 weeks trying to bring it up slowly and its been a real headache.

I plan to test weekly now, after i get the dosing figured out.