PDA

View Full Version : Garlic Help

sixspeed
10/15/2007, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, i just purchased a yellow eye kole tang and he does not look too good. His tail is a little ragged but i think that could of been from being stuff in the LFS tank with other fish. But he also has what looks to be Ich or some other white parasite. Quarantine is not an option for me because of lack of supplies and space. I want to try using garlic to enhance the tangs appetite so he can fight off this disease.

I just dont know how to go about this. I am feeding forumla 1 to the tank as well as nori strips. What are your recommendations for adding garlic to this diet.

Thanks.

barbra
10/15/2007, 10:40 AM
The garlic will actually help cure the ich, it has antibiotic properties in it. Just chop some up very fine and feed with the rest of the food, they suck it right down.

Roy G. Biv
10/15/2007, 10:41 AM
It can be as simple as grinding some garlic cloves in the food processor into a paste. Smear the paste in the nori and roll it up like a burrito. Plenty of people feed raw garlic in with home made foods.

Ritten
10/15/2007, 10:42 AM
If you have the liquid garlic you can soak the nori in the garlic as well.

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975326#post10975326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
The garlic will actually help cure the ich, it has antibiotic properties in it. Just chop some up very fine and feed with the rest of the food, they suck it right down.

sorry this is really debatable and not the thread to debate it on--I share the view with many others that garlic doesn't cure ich

here is an excellent article on ich its two parts and will give you some alternatives:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 10:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975309#post10975309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sixspeed
Hey guys, i just purchased a yellow eye kole tang and he does not look too good. His tail is a little ragged but i think that could of been from being stuff in the LFS tank with other fish. But he also has what looks to be Ich or some other white parasite. Quarantine is not an option for me because of lack of supplies and space. I want to try using garlic to enhance the tangs appetite so he can fight off this disease.

I just dont know how to go about this. I am feeding forumla 1 to the tank as well as nori strips. What are your recommendations for adding garlic to this diet.

Thanks.

I will be blunt here-----if you have the funds to purchase fish then you can afford to get a 5 or 10 gal tank or a plastic pail for 3 dollars
You owe it to the other fish in your tank to quarantine all fish before you expose them to your main tank.

That said hyposalination is the preferred method for treatment. Isolation for six weeks will rid it.

barbra
10/15/2007, 10:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975371#post10975371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
sorry this is really debatable and not the thread to debate it on--I share the view with many others that garlic doesn't cure ich

here is an excellent article on ich its two parts and will give you some alternatives:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php I have had ich once. I treated with garlic, the ich disappeared. Garlic contains antibiotic properties that are not subject to your opinions.

Roy G. Biv
10/15/2007, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975418#post10975418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
I have had ich once. I treated with garlic, the ich disappeared. Garlic contains antibiotic properties that are not subject to your opinions.

Wheather it helps or not.. It gets the fish to eat, which is a big step in that battle.

Ritten
10/15/2007, 11:00 AM
It's better than doing nothing.

kydsexy
10/15/2007, 11:01 AM
you tell 'em CAPN! if you can afford a tang, you have money for a $12 ten-gallon aquarium and a piece of LR and a pump!

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 11:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10975418#post10975418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by barbra
I have had ich once. I treated with garlic, the ich disappeared. Garlic contains antibiotic properties that are not subject to your opinions.

it contains antibiotic properties---yes---but it is not a magic bullet cure for anything

and I much too modest and inexperienced to take the credit for that opinion but Steven Pro and other seasoned writers are not.;)

sixspeed
10/15/2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, I will try the garlic method later tonight and hopefully the tang takes too it. Other wise i might have to scrounge up a QT some how.

uscharalph
10/15/2007, 01:03 PM
My 2 cleaner shrimp help also.

Roy G. Biv
10/15/2007, 02:10 PM
If you are going to wait until later tonight, either go to the lfs and pick up garlic extreme etc... or go to the grocery store and find garlic extract. Its less messy than smashing garlic yourself

uscharalph
10/15/2007, 02:17 PM
I use Selcon, specially formulated for fish.

sixspeed
10/15/2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the help, i know mr.koletrane will appreciate it.

Paul B
10/15/2007, 04:22 PM
Garlic has antibiotic properties which may help cure a bacterial disease. Ich is a paracite which will not be affected one way or another by antibiotic properties. But what the hell. If you feel it will do something, go for it. I am having a load of garlic tonight on my linguini and clams :lol:

ahullsb
10/15/2007, 04:57 PM
Good point Paul B, you beat me to it! :) Ich is a parasite, bottom line.

yellowwatchmen
10/15/2007, 05:48 PM
I use Garlic Guard, Made by seachem. I soak the food overnight in the fridge in a sirenge. Then i will feed it to them the next evening. Then i will have some leftover and i use it again the next night. If i have a little left over i will give to my fresh water fish.

Kannin
10/15/2007, 06:35 PM
Paul B... I bet you don't have ich!!! I rest my case. Paul B eats garlic and doesn't have ich...

If the garlic entices the tang to eat better... and, eating better makes him healthier... then his immune system might be able to fight the parasite better.

Aquarist007
10/15/2007, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10978666#post10978666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kannin
Paul B... I bet you don't have ich!!! I rest my case. Paul B eats garlic and doesn't have ich...

If the garlic entices the tang to eat better... and, eating better makes him healthier... then his immune system might be able to fight the parasite better.

....but it doesn't prevent it from occurring cure it or irradicate it from your tank.
that's not saying ich can't be cured or irradicated by quarantining and hyposalination followed by isolation for 4-6 weeks.

Paul B
10/16/2007, 03:19 AM

Thats true.

Aquarist007
10/16/2007, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10981233#post10981233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
Thats true.

thanks's for supporting my view point Paul, I've had my misconceptions about ich corrected by the experienced reefers here when I joined-----so it is not my opinion.---its nice to draw on the support of the experienced like yourself that have taught me so well;)

Paul B
10/16/2007, 02:14 PM
Capn, (I am also a Captain) ich is a pet peeve of mine and I have been dealing with it since the fiftees. There are all sorts of ways of controlling it and just as many ways that people use that don't work. Cleaner shrimp is my favorite, next is a uv sterilizer then we get to garlic. I feed my fish garlic because I feed them all sorts of things. I feel that it will do nothing for ich. But since I am not the God of ich I won't tell people not to use it.
I do know the fastest way to cure ich is with copper, formalin and quinicrine hydrocloride all used at the same time. (I think I invented this combination) You will get a cure in about 24 hours. You will still need to keep the fish medicated for ten days to kill all the paracites in all of their stages.
Unfortunately, this can not be done in a reef. The quinicrine alone will kill ich and can be used with some inverts but it is no where as good as copper. If it were not for copper there would not be a salt water fish hobby. If your LFS tells you that copper was not used on his fish he is probably un informed. Before we had copper, most of the fish would die in a few days in the store. I know because I helped start one of the largest aquarium stores in NY in the late sixtees. Copper will not ruin the fish liver or do anything else that is detrimental to the fish but ich will. I used to keep copper in my tank for years, we had to because all fish were shipped full of ich. As soon as the copper disapated, ich would appear. We diden't quarantine anything.
If you overdose copper you will kill the fish, if you overdose any good medication, you will kill the fish. Aspirin will kill you if overdosed.
Hypo will also kill ich but sometimes the fish will not live long enough for the hypo to work.
There is no medication for ich that can be used in a reef that will work. I wish there were.
Have a great day.
Paul