PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow

Antman
10/15/2007, 11:42 AM
Quick question I have a 54 gallon corner tank with the builtin overflow
a Mag 5 with a Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector on the return water -it is angled down into the tank I also have a Tunz nanostream 6025 atached to the corner overflow pointing into the curve of the glass
There is NO direct water flow on the top of the tank becides the water going down the overflow
Should ther be more flow in the top of the tank ?

barbra
10/15/2007, 01:19 PM
Only if you notice trouble with the current setup. If your tank is working okay this way I would leave it. More flow wouldn't be a bad thing, but if the top is not developing a scum layer you are probably fine.

amike5
10/15/2007, 01:24 PM
I would, you will end up with a bunch of particles sitting on top of the water because they can't make it into the overflow.

Antman
10/15/2007, 01:24 PM
by creating more flow /breaking the top of the water will this benifit the tank in any way or not ?
I know I would get more shimmer from my MH but then there is the salt spray to deal with

amike5
10/15/2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, it will help with gas exchanges and help get stuff into your overflow to be processed by your skimmer. It will also help to cool the water. You may get some salt spray, but if you set it up good (with wide pattern flow such as flared nozzles, etc. and keeping the nozzles slightly underneath the waterline) you can limit the spray.

Kalied20
10/15/2007, 02:39 PM
I got a 90 gallon reef that I have setup a MJMOD power head on the opposite side facing directly into the overflow. I put it on a timer and have it come on for 20 minutes every 6 hours. This keeps the scum off the top of the water and stirs the flow. Been working pretty well so far. Hope that helps if you do develop a problem.