PDA

View Full Version : What SPS can be kept with leather corals?

stringcheese
10/15/2007, 12:31 PM
Specifically Toadstool and finger leathers?
I especially like scroll and tabletop corals.

Randy1
10/15/2007, 04:37 PM
All of them. Just run carbon 1 cup per 40 gals of water and change monthly. Try not to allow them to touch, I've been keeping both for years.

MrPike
10/15/2007, 07:20 PM
Should be ok together, they are really similar in what they need to thrive. High light, high flow. Only time there really seems to be a problem is when you fragment the leather, that slime it releases can burn the crap out of your stonies.

Grunt007
10/15/2007, 07:26 PM
Problem is SPS and leathers are not found together naturally. So there is no need for one or the other to have defenses/immunity to the others allelopathic toxins. Putting the two togther, while it can be done w/ some precautions like using carbon, aggressive skimming, etc., it can lead to dull coloring and/or slow growth, etc. If you want SPS, I would only have one or maybe two leathers.

stringcheese
10/16/2007, 07:29 AM
Ok. Now i know what I have to do.
BTW carbon users...I found ehiem powerball intank filters to be a great and easy to use carbon filter. They are cheap and super easy to change carbon in. The largest model can hold about 2 cups of carbon.

H@rry
10/16/2007, 08:17 AM
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what about pipe organs? Do they pose a problem with SPS?

Thanx

acrylic_300
10/16/2007, 08:42 AM
This months Aquarium Fish Magazine had an article that says that they are "all most" never found growing together.

twon8
10/16/2007, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10982132#post10982132 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H@rry
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but what about pipe organs? Do they pose a problem with SPS?

Thanx

tubipora? i can't see them being a problem

EnderG60
10/16/2007, 02:58 PM
I have seen yellow toadstools, green finger leathers, and cabbage leathers growing side be side with SPS in the wild so those are the only leathers I will now keep in my mixed reef.

I used to have a nice BIG pink finger leather in my tank which didnt seem to have much effect except it would grow so fast and sting the hell out of my nice SPS it had to go.

Now I just keep my small green/orange cabbage leather and a yellow toadstool(much slower growing) and I keep them away from everything else. Might do a green finger when I get a bigger tank though.

Randy1
10/16/2007, 06:27 PM
seen a show about the Great Barrier reef the other night and there were yellow leathers about every 10 feet among sps so I belive they are found in nature together.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10979098#post10979098 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grunt007
Problem is SPS and leathers are not found together naturally. So there is no need for one or the other to have defenses/immunity to the others allelopathic toxins. Putting the two togther, while it can be done w/ some precautions like using carbon, aggressive skimming, etc., it can lead to dull coloring and/or slow growth, etc. If you want SPS, I would only have one or maybe two leathers.

Scissorhand
10/16/2007, 06:33 PM
How about SPS and zoanthids? Are they found in nature together?