PDA

View Full Version : adding MAG to kalk

A.T.T.R
10/15/2007, 01:53 PM
i know there is a new company that adds mag to kalk. but i think it is only for manual dosage

is it possiable to add mag to a kalk reactor with kalk to add some mag. i know mag precipitates easily and the CA will be added alot more hte n the mag but is there any benifit. or better yet.. is there any harm

bertoni
10/15/2007, 02:04 PM
The magnesium should precipitate out of solution in limewater, so I don't see a point in adding magnesium, at least in the form of Mg ions. If a slurry is being dosed, the magnesium would likely redissolve. I suppose that might be an easy way to dose both calcium and magnesium at the same time, but I'm not sure I see the point. I'd like to be able to adjust the ratio, in any case.

A.T.T.R
11/05/2007, 07:15 PM
i decided to give it a try afew weeks ago. im sure i added more then i should of but your words "should precipitate out" made me think worst come to worst i wasted some MG that will stay int he reactor forever
well wierd thing is my mag went up a lil and seems stable at 1300 ish and ca and alk are staying stable at 450 ish and 2.6 ish
i use the word ish alot because the whole " add till color changes" always confuses me as to whent he color is considered changed
anyways/// seems like it kinda worked. we will find out as time goes on and see if it stays this way tho.

IT IS possiable that my mag is the same as before and this NEW and could be testing differently

bertoni
11/05/2007, 07:39 PM
Some of the Mg might make it into the tank before the precipitation removes it. Precipitation can be a slow process. All in all, I am not sure this approach is very practical.

A.T.T.R
11/05/2007, 07:43 PM
agreed
but i love screwing with tank stuff :P was worth it to me to find out ^^

back to banging my head on my keyboard in attempts to program a DIY seio controller