PDA

View Full Version : Tank placement help

Nemomedic
10/15/2007, 04:35 PM
Hi, him thinking of starting a fowlr tank, I'm thinking of getting a 120 gallon (48" x 24" x 24") and using it as a room divider but i fear that with the fuge the weight might be to much for my floor. I might have enough space to put it against the wall but it would lose the dividing purpose.

Any idea if my floor might withstand the load. It would be in my living room and i have engineered truss floor.

Thanks in advance for your help. :confused:

bmcq
10/15/2007, 05:07 PM
It would mostly depend on which way the trusses run.... you would want the tank to run across the trusses and not parallel to them. It also depends on the footprint of your stand .... the more platform is on the floor the more the weight is distributed.

Nemomedic
10/15/2007, 05:09 PM
Sadly they run on the same way, lenghtwise, and for the stand it's mainly the same size and a few inches on all size.

natejonesis
10/15/2007, 05:14 PM
Dude, I would get a professional to asses the situation. This is a very specific item..... and u don't want mistakes..

bmcq
10/15/2007, 05:17 PM
Unless you have access under the trusses to do some reinforcing, you will probably be better off to find another location better suited to handle the load. Ideally an outside wall where you can run the tank across the trusses.

Nemomedic
10/15/2007, 05:20 PM
I have complete access to under the trusses, and since my basement isn't finish, I could probably do some work on them. But the tank would look better upstairs, i've been looking also at a 75 gal (48" x 18" x 22") wich would bring the load down, but i'll probably have someone take a look at it to see exactly what i can get.

Thanks