PDA

View Full Version : 28 gallon Nano Cube Fuge

nano_reefer2010
10/15/2007, 06:44 PM
Has anyone tried the Aquafuge External Hang on Refugiums on a nano reef? If so how do they work and would they fit easily on a JBJ Nano Cube HQI?

cutegecko3
10/15/2007, 08:55 PM
i have one on my 22 gal. oceanic cube.its full of razor caleurpa and heavily stocked with pods.i had to add a small powerhead inside it and keep the sandbed under 1 inch.but definitley a benefit.

aaronpentz
10/15/2007, 10:12 PM
I just got the 28HQI too and I am ordering the CPR small fuge which will fit really good. the medium will almost fit you would have to dremel part of the tank trim as the hard plastic tubing to and from the fuge is a width of 17.5 inches. but I only have 17 inches.

nano_reefer2010
10/16/2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Also would it be of more benifit to use the overflow chamber as a fuge with the Aquafuge? Or would that be overkill and a hassle.

mr_cali
10/17/2007, 12:22 AM
I just attached a light (coralife 18w) to middle chamber with double sided velcroe, threw some chaeto and lr in and it's been working out really nicely.

nano_reefer2010
10/19/2007, 01:25 PM
mr_cali Does the coralife on the center create a lot of heat, and also does the chaeto tumble or stay in place. Do you use carbon, if so where do you put it, is the media basket still in?

mr_cali
10/19/2007, 03:20 PM
i put the rock on the bottom, place the chemipure on top of it to stabalize the chaeto, then i place the chaeto on top. I occasionally put filter floss on top of the chaeto, but in small portions. i have a chiller on my tank so the coralife doesn't really affect the heat. i would recommend a chiller, either way (if you have resources to fund one), because, unless you have crazy good air conditioning in your house, the tank generally gets warm without it (especially in the summer).

nano_reefer2010
10/19/2007, 05:24 PM
Do you have any good suggestions on a chiller? I have actinics in the canopy as well, if that makes any difference on heat? I'm wanting the temp around 76~ 78 highest. Thanks for the great idea on the chem. filtration

nano_reefer2010
10/20/2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry to change the topic, but I'm planning on getting a pair of bluestriped pipefish. Do you know of any safe host for my sexy anemone shrimp that wouldn't harm the pipes. Thanks.

Aaronpentz Did you remove the filtration media basket or leave it in? I really am a fan of using carbon so if I have to take out the basket where should I put the carbon I'm planning to use?

aaronpentz
10/20/2007, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11015152#post11015152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nano_reefer2010
Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry to change the topic, but I'm planning on getting a pair of bluestriped pipefish. Do you know of any safe host for my sexy anemone shrimp that wouldn't harm the pipes. Thanks.

Aaronpentz Did you remove the filtration media basket or leave it in? I really am a fan of using carbon so if I have to take out the basket where should I put the carbon I'm planning to use?

Im planning on using the media basket and having the fuge hang on the back. If I decide to also make the back into a fuge i will just use my phosban reactor form my larger tank.

nano_reefer2010
10/20/2007, 08:24 PM
I planned on using a phosban reactor as well. I was gonna use Seachem Matrix Carbon, Phosban, and Seachem Purigen in it. Thanks for the info. Do the foam disks strain out particles, or is it just a divider in the reactor?