PDA

View Full Version : I can use some help

jnguyen4007
10/15/2007, 08:39 PM
All,

for the past couple of weeks, I'm slowly seeing something in my tank that I don't know what it is and hoping that someone recognize it and perhaps know how to get rid of it.

I first noticed stringy, brownish things that I first thought was brown algae that formed on the top layer of my sand. For me to get them off of the sand, I'd use a turkey baster and blast and the sand and break up the sand clumpy top layer. Then I began to noticed something brown and stringy like formed on my calfo overflow box side wall as well as the under side of the overflow box. To get rid of it, I basically used an algae scrubber and scrubbed the overflow wall down. Tonight, I took a closer and noticed that these things are also all over my rocks and attached to them are something that looked like miniscule airpocket or small embryo of some sort. I don't know what they are. If someone know what they are, please let me know and if there is a way to get rid of them, let me know that as well. Thanks for your help.

James

HBtank
10/15/2007, 08:42 PM
Sounds like dinoflagellates.

A picture would help confirm, but they are a real pain...

mbbuna
10/16/2007, 01:03 AM
i agree that it sounds like dinos. dont blow them around or scrub then off so they can float around and spread, in fact dont do that with anything your trying to get rid of. instead siphon them out with a hose

KDodds
10/16/2007, 05:42 AM
Yup, siphon 'em out and use the opportunity to do a water change.

magdelan
10/17/2007, 12:08 AM
After dealing with dinos for months, I finally turned off my lights for a few days. check out my thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=985423&highlight=dinoflagellates)

Good luck... for real!!!