PDA

View Full Version : ready to start adding LS and LR

evo97
10/15/2007, 09:32 PM
Iam shopping for live rock and have come across several adds for live rock foundation/ base for sell , they say this is made from corel and formed into different shapes to look like live rock and to be placed into the tank beside the live rock and that it would eventualy become seeded , (if this is the right term) should I use this stuff or try to stay with the cured live rock ? (my tank is a 130 gl. empty ) also can I just go down to the beach and get a bucket of sand from the shore line and use in the tank?

snulma1
10/15/2007, 09:56 PM
I would get most of your rock as dead/base rock. Then seed the that rock with a few pounds of live rock. And as for the sand from the beach, I would steer clear of it, too many chemicals mixed in.

MinnFish
10/15/2007, 09:59 PM
Welcome evo97. I would not trust the sand along the boardwalk or anywhere else. Too much pollution, navy base, shipyards, etc. The things i have seen wash ashore. I'm a longtime resident of Va. Bch. Now living in the frozen northwoods. I see not a problem of using base rock and seeding with LR. I have used this method in the past with great success. It will save you a ton of money. Looking forward to spending the christmas holiday there. Can't wait to put a hurting on Capt. Georges Seafood buffet. Best of luck with your tank.

evo97
10/15/2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info , as far as the sand , I will be needing app. 160 lbs by my figures , this can be expensive , what do you suggest ? capt georges is one of my favorites !

MinnFish
10/15/2007, 10:35 PM
I did not spare on the sand in my system. I have heard others using dry sand from Lowes, HD, etc. Seeded it with a cup of live sand from a establish tank. I know it will expensive for you to go the route i took. Looking at about $250+??? for your set-up? OOPs, don't buy silicia(sp) base sand.

demonsp
10/15/2007, 10:35 PM
Useing this base rock is fine and less expensive. BUt there are many fine supplies of LR.

www.reefscience.com

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597

to name a couple. You can get alot of neat hitchhikers with this rock but then again some unwanted also.

The LS , many have differance of opinons on this . I used all flordia LS and never saw any high spike and the SB is uniform and natural. If you can fit this in your budget then i think you will be pleased. But this isnt needed . Anyother sand base with minimal LS added would also work saveing money in the end.