PDA

View Full Version : Hope it works

littleshark
10/16/2007, 12:18 PM
Well i finally got another maroon from petco. Really love the new fella. I like its dot that it has. :D Well im trying to pair the new one with my recent clown. They were fighting when i first got the new one and the new guy lost and it was being chase so i isolated it. I might release it in 2 or 3 days. I have a video go take a look and tell me how my clowns are looking :) I forgot to add, how come one of my clown is darker and one of my clown is lighter in color?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v671/lilo_kid/?action=view&current=Picture059.flv

timrandlerv10
10/16/2007, 01:52 PM
darker = older = larger = female?

bencozzy
10/16/2007, 02:42 PM
coloration(darker usually means older, and/or female)

size(could mean female, or it was getting plenty of quality food)

so you might have 2 females???? the new ones(darker one) isnt a gold stripe is it?

littleshark
10/16/2007, 03:04 PM
Ive had the bright one for a week only. And the dark one was just bought as a maroon at petco so im thinking its a white stripe. But they are only at 1 inch can they really be females already?

gberry
10/16/2007, 03:51 PM
Pretty unlikely they've sexed yet if they're only 1" long. What you may have issues with is the fact that maroons are very slow to back down in a confrontation. When pairing maroons, it's normally easier, and saying 'easier' is relative because pairing maroons is difficult in the first place, to get 2 fish that are differing in size. When I paired mine for example, I introduced a 1.5" clown to a 4" clown, it makes for fights for dominance quicker and less violent IMO. The smaller one got into line pretty quickly and they've gotten along grandly since. Two fish of the same size could fight for quite a while before one establishes dominance and is able to mature into a female.

littleshark
10/16/2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the information. So should i just let the new one loose or should i still keep it isolated? So would that mean that the winner will become the female and the smaller one will become the male?

littleshark
10/17/2007, 05:32 PM
Good news. The big one finally isnt beating up the new one now. I think it accept him. The big one rushes towards the small one like its gonna bite it than it kind of like tail whip it and the new one will have that seizure thingy. I hope they start swimming together soon :) Ill get a video or picture later.