PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Blenny

sixteengallon
10/16/2007, 02:16 PM
My friend gave me what he called a "blenny" but after some research it turns out to be a dragonette or "scooter blenny." Since I only have a 16 gallon tank, I expect that this new livestock addition will only last a few weeks in my tank. I dont' really want to pull all of my rock/corals out of the tank just so I can catch him. Also, I don';t want to have to culture copepods just to support this one fish. My concern is that once he dies I may not notice or may not be able to find where his carcass is in the tank.

If this fish dies will it pollute my tank and possibly kill my corals or clowns?

In the tank is 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 black occelaris, and some asterae snails and blue leg hermits.

What do you guys think?

papagimp
10/16/2007, 02:25 PM
Scotter blennies or "dragonette" are alot more likely to eat on prepared foods than their mandarin cousins. Keep working with food stuffs such as frozen mysis, reef plankton, clyclopeeze, and similar. Theirs a better chance that you can get him to eat something like this. If needed, hatch some brine shrimp and get him to at least eat that while your "training" him so he doesnb't starve. AS a last resort, find him a new home. Watch his midsection for signs of emancipation (starving) when viewed from above, they'll have a severly noticable "pinched" appearance. usually when they reach this point, theirs little hope, but not all is lost, I've seen some miracleous recoveries before. Also, with two clownfish and the scooter in this tank, don't add any more, it's "full". IF he does die and you have trouble finding him, look for the pile of hermits feeding on him. Wouldn't hurt to research blue legged hermits here on RC either :D Many of us consider them evil, but many people love em.

Don't give up hope on the fish yet.

oysterxfast5
10/16/2007, 02:27 PM
turkey baster helps.

sixteengallon
10/16/2007, 02:53 PM
thanks papagimp for your educating reply. one of the problems i have is that the shrimp are SEVERLY aggressive eaters and the clowns aren't much better. I will keep trying. It's good to see other people in OKC on reefcentral!

Thinslis
10/16/2007, 03:00 PM
My Scooter Blenny was awsome.... until he decided to jump out of the tank =(

75Gallons
10/16/2007, 03:23 PM
Dont worry about the scooter bleeny they aren't the same nightmare that other dragonettes seem to be. I have one and just feed him brine shrimp every other day. He seems to be doing fine. Don't become obsessed about him eating either he'll eat when hes hungry.

papagimp
10/16/2007, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10984729#post10984729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sixteengallon
It's good to see other people in OKC on reefcentral!

You think that's something, check this out, right here on RC!!!
come by and introduce yourself :D

Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=109)

papagimp
10/16/2007, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10984958#post10984958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 75Gallons
I have one and just feed him brine shrimp every other day.

I'd advise against just feeding brine. A variety is much better for any fish, do you feed newly hatched artemia or do you gutload the adults?