PDA

View Full Version : Painting back of tank.....

bkwudzjeep
10/16/2007, 04:17 PM
I know that Krylon Fusion is pretty common for this....but how does it hold up against a cleaning magnet?

Do you use spray paint, or roll on as well?

Thanks for your time!!

customcolor
10/16/2007, 04:57 PM
well my magfloat has a felt side to it (for the one thats on the outside of the tank) and i dont think that would take off the krylon. i have used roll on paints to. laytex worked for me. comes off with a razer perty good.

SWINGRRRR
10/16/2007, 05:15 PM
I rattle caned mine. This is the best pic of it with the overflows.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o184/SWINGRRRR/Fish/Fish001.jpg

masher09
10/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Roll it on

hebygb
10/17/2007, 07:17 AM
Dont paint. IMO... paint a thin sheet of acrylic that is precut to fit the back of your tank. If you have trim, this sheet of acrylic will fit perfectly between the top and bottom trim making it flush. Then just a strip of black duct tape along the top and bottom edge of the acrylic, and the trim and voila. Mag cleaners work just fine, and you can change your color, or sell your tank "unpainted" down the road. I have also heard of people using auto glass tinting.

jcpatella
10/17/2007, 09:22 AM
I used auto glass tint - it looks great, it was cheap, and only took an hour. I don't clean my back glass, so I don't know how it would hold up to a magfloat. It'll probably have to be removed with a razor blade (if I ever decide to do so), so I don't think using a magnetic cleaner would scratch through it.

MSU Fan
10/17/2007, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10989762#post10989762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hebygb
Dont paint. IMO... paint a thin sheet of acrylic that is precut to fit the back of your tank. If you have trim, this sheet of acrylic will fit perfectly between the top and bottom trim making it flush. Then just a strip of black duct tape along the top and bottom edge of the acrylic, and the trim and voila. Mag cleaners work just fine, and you can change your color, or sell your tank "unpainted" down the road. I have also heard of people using auto glass tinting.

Now that is a fantastic idea! My next tank will probably have this done...

bkwudzjeep
10/17/2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys!

Those of you who have tried the roll on....what brand did you use?

The window tint seems like a good idea too....did you get light showing through to the back wall?

bhbell
10/18/2007, 11:29 AM
Rolled on black latex enamel. I kept the glass clear that is concealed by the overflow so I can see if anyone has "gone over the edge."
I would be concerned with the inevitable salt creep between the Acrylic & back glass..... It will find a way.
Taking a painted background off a glass tank is not difficult, just takes a razor scraper and a couple of fresh blades.

marxxx
10/19/2007, 07:32 AM
I used Rust Oleum spray. It worked fine and looks great!
I have removed a lot of black paint off glass tanks in the past, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Don't stress, it's easy to put on and with a little elbow grease easy to take off.

hebygb
10/19/2007, 07:44 AM
I have never had salt creep or water between the acrylic and glass... that is the reason you need to use a single strip of duct tape all accross the top edge of the acrylic and the trim of the tank. Unless you get really sloppy with the water, you wont have a problem. I have two tanks like this for over 2 years and still lokks brand new.