PDA

View Full Version : will this rock be ok?

giants4pc
10/16/2007, 05:02 PM
I know taking care of a few aipstasia(spelling?) on some rocks isn't that big of a deal. A little Joe's Juice or similar product and it seems to do the trick. However, when 75lbs of rock is completely infiltrated with this stuff, nothing will help. With that said, if this rock is dried out for a long time and then recured, can I assume that the aip. will not automatically come back? In other words, if it's completely covered now, is it hopeless?

m2434
10/16/2007, 05:53 PM
out of frustration with some aptaisa on one small (6inch) rock, I took it out and sprayed it with hot water, needless to say I never noticed any aptaisia again. Never tried with 75lbs though!

lakee911
10/16/2007, 05:58 PM
I've hosed off aiptasia with nearly boiling DI water in a syringe. They let go. Good as new. :)

giants4pc
10/16/2007, 06:26 PM
Did they ever come back? There are literally thousands of them in this tank (not mine)- just helping someone out. I have plenty of fully cured rock in my sump that's really nice. I have no problem swaping the rock with them. My concern is that I don't want to introduce this rock back into my system. So, if I give it time to die out, can I assume that it would be gone?

dascharisma
10/16/2007, 06:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10986242#post10986242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lakee911
I've hosed off aiptasia with nearly boiling DI water in a syringe. They let go. Good as new. :)

To me this is not the best way to handle the situation. Nearly every tank has some aiptasia. If you can't keep the nutrients low enough to manage their spread, you need to introduce a predator, like a copperband or peppermint shrimp.

Aiptasia are very hardy. If you are hosing them off enough to kill them, then you are killing basically everything on the rock. You will only be rid of them temporarily since most frags you get will reintroduce them to your tank. So in the end you kill your live rock for a temporary fix.

Brad