PDA

View Full Version : Dosing pump alternatives to a LMIII

javajaws
10/17/2007, 10:27 AM
A LMIII pump has only one speed. To vary the amount of water pumped the pump is just turned on longer or shorter throughout the day. However, the LM pumps are pretty noisy and when these things turn on you can hear them a mile away.

Are there any dosing pumps out there that are quieter and/or that might have an adjustable speed that can stay on all day?

PSam
10/17/2007, 10:55 AM
Hm. My LM3 is dead silent, so are the remote pumps. Silent.

SDguy
10/17/2007, 11:02 AM
Adjustable speed peri pumps get pricey.

My cheapo aquamedic is silent when turning on/off. I would think the $300+ LMIII should also be so....

jt_redmist
10/17/2007, 11:06 AM
I disagree. I've been running my LMIII for over a year, and it's silent.

John

Ewan
10/17/2007, 11:22 AM
are you guys nuts?!?

When I purchased a LMIII several years ago, everyone said they were silent. Well I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded exactly the same to me; like a noisy sewing machine while they were running.

Silent would imply no noise at all. If I put a LMIII in my bedroom, my wife would have a fit. It is most definately NOT silent.

Ewan
10/17/2007, 11:32 AM
Ok, nuts is a bit harsh.... But I'm intrigued as to why people keep referring to the LMIII as silent. Quiet is relative, silent is not.

After my friend got one, I was amazed that hers sounded exactly the same as mine. A year or so later, and I heard another one in the back room of a LFS. I asked if they had a LMIII and the girl smiled. After hearing 3 that were alike, I assumed they all sounded this way.

jt_redmist
10/17/2007, 11:46 AM
ok ok ok, I guess silent is a poor word choice. Quiet is more like it. You can hear the motor turn, but it's not loud by any means.

John

twon8
10/17/2007, 12:30 PM
it is not silent, but it is hardly noisy. imo the tubing moving makes the most noise when running. if yours is making noise try cleaning it

twon8
10/17/2007, 12:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10991392#post10991392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ewan
are you guys nuts?!?

When I purchased a LMIII several years ago, everyone said they were silent. Well I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded exactly the same to me; like a noisy sewing machine while they were running.

Silent would imply no noise at all. If I put a LMIII in my bedroom, my wife would have a fit. It is most definately NOT silent.

if yours sounds like a sewing machine something is wrong; or you have the quietest sewing machine in the world

Ewan
10/17/2007, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10991943#post10991943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
it is not silent, but it is hardly noisy. imo the tubing moving makes the most noise when running. if yours is making noise try cleaning it

I have cleaned it, several times. I've replaced the tubing set twice. I've owned it for 3 years now.

Like I mentioned, I've heard 3 different ones, and they all sounded EXACTLY the same to me. I didn't come up with the sewing machine comparison... I've actually heard many others mention this. It was so fitting that I adopted the nickname. Maybe spectrapure sends all of the noisy units to New England.

I'm trying to end the 'silent' rumor about litermeters. IMO, when people buy one based on others reporting that it's dead silent they're in for quite a disappointment.

PSam
10/17/2007, 12:58 PM
If you want to be literal about it, mine is 'extremely quiet'. I do not hear the remote pumps, nor the unit when they dose. Mine does not sound like a sewing machine. My hearing is fine as well. Looks like I just got lucky and have a solid, 'extremely quiet' unit.

SDguy
10/17/2007, 01:22 PM
I think people just have to keep in mind that everyone has a different threshold for noise.

There was someone on here that thought the little CO2 bubble being injected and chopped up by the pump on a calcium reactor was excessively loud :)

FWIW, I don't think anyone should expect anything with a moving part to be literally silent.

rick s
10/17/2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/
Nautilus II. Mine is very quiet, adjustable, etc.
I have no complaints about it at all.

carlos_fb
10/17/2007, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10992393#post10992393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s
I have no complaints about it at all.

Nice one, how long have you been using it?

jmait769
10/17/2007, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10992393#post10992393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s
I have no complaints about it at all. Rick – Also, do you dose two part with the two channel tubing or use the single high-volume single tubing set? Thanks!

Jay

burris
10/17/2007, 03:05 PM
You must be new around here. When someone on RC says a piece of equipment is "silent" they mean that it cannot be heard over the sound of 5000 GPH of splashing water and the 25 other "silent" pieces of equipment in their stand/room.

Fortunately, the LM can pump a long distance against a lot of head. An option may be to hide it somewhere and/or build an acoustic chamber and run 1/4" pipe to where you need it.

rick s
10/17/2007, 04:20 PM
I've had it running about 1 1/2 years now. I have used the high volume line set to run kalk. Now, I use the dual line set to run 2-part. I've used B-Ionic and Randy's DIY 2-part.

Mine is very quiet. If I turned off everything: pumps, fans, everything; you would have to open the cabinet door to hear it running.

kdblove_99
10/17/2007, 04:21 PM
I got to look into that Nautilus II looks nice

jmait769
10/17/2007, 04:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10993670#post10993670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rick s
I've had it running about 1 1/2 years now. I have used the high volume line set to run kalk. Now, I use the dual line set to run 2-part. I've used B-Ionic and Randy's DIY 2-part.

Mine is very quiet. If I turned off everything: pumps, fans, everything; you would have to open the cabinet door to hear it running. Rick -Thanks! That is what I need to know. I’m with burris. I’m sure it has to be quieter than the rest of the equipment I have!

Jay