PDA

View Full Version : Bug Bomb

specopsteam
10/17/2007, 12:14 PM
I have a tank set up and stocked in my house i need to bug bomb that room what options do i have because even though im new to SW im sure that it would be a bad idea to just set it off without any other though

skippy2
10/17/2007, 12:38 PM
I would definately find another way to take care of the bug problem. I sure wouldn't do it. At least I can bring this back to the top of the page and somebody would have a better suggestion than bombing your tank room.

RioReefer
10/17/2007, 01:39 PM
I have the same Prob!!! Anyone "smart" enough to try it?

traderdan
10/17/2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe you could try to seal up the tank. I would try one of those window plastic covers you seal up with a hair dryer. The goverment says to use this if a dirty bomb goes off, so hopefully it would do the trick.

specopsteam
10/17/2007, 01:51 PM
Just to clarify i want to set off a bug bomb to kill gnates not set off a nuclear bomb lol :cool:

traderdan
10/17/2007, 02:04 PM
To kill gnats just pour bleach down every drain in the house. Also bring all plants and anything else that holds water, except you aquarium, outside. Gnats lay their eggs in waterholds. Once you do this all the gnats in your house should dye within 48 hours. They have a short life span.

slimbolen99
10/17/2007, 08:48 PM
What kind of gnats are they? I once lived in a very crappy house, and gnats came up from my damp basement. Try to solve the problem before doing a bug bomb. It might take longer, but as with any aquarium (I'm a freshwater guru, saltwater rookie), any type of "spray" in the confines of your house will eventually find their way to your tank.

I'd suggest the following:

1. To deal with the "minor" moisture, place little pieces of "regular" charcoal in the most damp areas of your house. The charcoal will soak up a ton of moisture, and you can easily dispose of it without too much of a mess.

2. To deal with the gnats, you can hang those "gnat" traps, they are sticky pieces of paper about 3' foot long. They don't look good, but they'll catch anything in the air without sacrificing air quality.

3. To permanently get rid of the gnats without doing a bug bomb, you've got to find out what type of bugs they are, how to irradiate them safely, and how to prevent them in the future, without sacrificing your aquarium's safety.

Hope this helps.

chk4tix
10/17/2007, 08:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't recommend doing a bug bomb in the house, but my girlfriend did one one day to kill off some spiders. She didnt asked before she did it, but informed me after the fact. I freaked, but nothing happened to my tank. I could just be lucky though.